Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hard Recoil/Sore Shoulder >

Hard Recoil/Sore Shoulder

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hard Recoil/Sore Shoulder

Old 10-23-2004, 09:31 PM

Default RE: Hard Recoil/Sore Shoulder

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

Whats a muzzle brake?
For a more complete definition, you could do a Google search, but I'll give it a try. A muzzle brake is a device that is attached to or machined into the barrel at the muzzle, which redirects some of the hot gases backward slightly towards the shooter, and/or downward. The effect is to pull the gun away from the shooter, reducing felt recoil, in many cases by a significant margin. It can also reduce muzzle jump. The bad news is that the muzzle blast increases horrendously, and is enough to cause hearing damage even though you might be wearing normal hearing protection.

Browning is one of several companies that offer a muzzle brake on factory new rifles. Browning's is called the B.O.S.S., or Ballistic Optimization Shooting System. You may have seen these at a gun store, where there is a thick section at the end of the barrel with holes in them. The main intent that Browning had was to have a barrel weight that could be screwed in and out to find the "sweet spot" for best accuracy, by controlling the harmonics of the barrel. These are quite effective for that. I understand that Browning also includes a solid weight that does not have the holes on the side, which is effective for dialing in the best accuracy but does not reduce recoil.

If you ever see an empty bench at the range next to a guy with a muzzle brake on his rifle, try to sit somewhere else. They are loud as hell and are no fun to be around.[:@] I hate the darned things myself, but then I don't shoot anything bigger than a .30-06, so I don't need one.

Hoep this helps.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

I cast my vote here for the Simms Vibration Labs recoil pad. I installed one on my 444 and that thing has some big kick. Went from being a killer at both ends of the gun to pleasant to shoot. Check on Midway, they even have some that are prefit.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:39 AM
bigcountry

Guys, I am shocked that a A-bolt hurts you so bad. Here is what i found. I shot 270's and 06's most of my life. I got a 300winnie 5 years ago, and shot 300Wby mag. They hurt me. They cut my hand from the bolt, my finger from the trigger guard. What I found out, was I was not properly holding the gun, or executing the shot. I didn't have a tight grip on the stock and didn't have a firm shoulder to it. Also I didn't roll with the shot. Basically, it was a huge hit to the ego, but I didn't know how to shoot a gun with 27ftlbs of recoil. Its very hard to admit after shooting 20 years with a 270, 243, etc. But know is half the battle. After you know you can fix. I now shoot 300RUM up to 40 rounds a session, with no bruises or very little soreness. But I do this alot.

A simms or any good recoil pad will be worth its wieght in gold first off. Second, learn to roll with the recoil. Bad news only way to learn this is with lots of shooting. I was watching at the range last week the same people that come in once a year to sight in thier guns. They complain about recoil, about bruised shoulders. And this is with mod70 feather in 30-06. I see thier shoulders tense right before firing. No roll with the recoil. It takes time and practice to get this muscle memory down. If you need a muzzlebreak then the gun is too big for ya. Putting on all kinds of gadgets, is masking the problem.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:43 AM

BC,

I thought after years and years of “winging it” via trial and error and the school of hard knocks with light American cartridges (270/30-06/etc.) [the way most American’s learn how to shoot] I felt I was a knowledgable rifleman and sure didn’t need anyone to tell me how to shoot. Then I started “moving up” the cartridge ladder and all my self taught bad habits came home to roost since I was dealing with more serious firepower. One of the firing line managers at my rifle range, after watching me shoot, leveled with me and essentially told me “you can hit, but it is a miracle considering your poor technique --- consider getting some instruction and you could be much better and it will go much easier for you.”

I left the range madder than a boiled owl. What a $hithead! I’m older than he is and have been doing this for years. What does he know? I am damned good, just ask me! My pride was hurt and I stewed for the next two weeks. The more I thought about it, though, the more he gained in the “argument”. The Boy Scouts (used to) teach kids how to shoot. The NRA teaches kids (and adults) to shoot. The military teaches recruits how to shoot. The police teaches cops how to shoot. African PH schools teach PH’s how to shoot.

Who taught me how to shoot? Essentially my brother and the main focus there was keeping the muzzle pointed properly and safely emptying the gun for storage, otherwise it was a competition between us as to who could shoot best, small wonder the issue of better/proper technique never came up between us and not at all otherwise UNTIL the size of the cartridges being shot essentially demanded it.

Sooo,
I bit the bullet and went to the senior instructor, one I knew had big bore experience and bought an hour of instruction…. Holy #@!$, what a difference! It was a brand new day! EVERYTHING was easier and BETTER. Now I see them at the range every time…. “Hey buddy, you don’t know how to shoot!” Nah, ignorance is bliss and I don’t need the hassle, I just leave them be. On this board, almost everytime the issue of “too much recoil” comes up (barring physical injuries) I can almost “see” the list/picture of errors being committed without even being there --- a qualified person never instructed ya, huh? Ah, well, it is a free country.

If you are getting kicked to death, then before you blame the rifle or the cartridge --- spend an hour with someone who really knows what they are doing, preferably a certified instructor (not the self ordained local “stud”). You may establish a whole new relationship with your previously troublesome rifle.

BTW, though --- I'll bet 8 out of 10 of those who complain of recoil WILL NOT seek any outside help on their technique or equipment --- it is a mystery, but like I said it is a free country.

EKM
Old 10-25-2004, 11:54 AM
bigcountry

You know even now, I would love to have instruction from someone that really knows thier stuff. Finding that person can be tough. I still feel I need work.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:54 PM

ELKampMaster nailed it. The most probable cause of your sore shoulder is your shooting technique. A .300 shouldn't pound that hard. It is preferable to get some instruction, but there is something else you can do on your own. Set up your video camcorder at the range or borrow one if you don't have one. Video tape yourself shooting. It's surprising what mistakes you can see from a different perspective.

I have a .378 Wby MKV, LH action. I bought it used, with 3 previous owners and 30 rounds fired. I shot it for a while with no brake, but the final straw was after a 35 rounds fired session at the bench. My left knee and lower back were killing me, for some days afterward. The .378 has a wicked recoil unbraked, one of the worst, and the recoil was rotating my body backward. Hence the knee and back pain. My shoulder was never an issue. It never did hurt. I braked the rifle with a Vais, as I do not intend to hunt with it. Now it recoils about like a ... .300 Mag. I'm simply fascinated with pushing 300 grains at 3000+fps. Also what would I hunt? I had planned to download to a light .375 H&H level for hunting, but as it turns out the .378 is near impossible to download and get consistent results.

Here is a short vid (1343kb) of me back when I was just learning to shoot long range. I'm not a natural and it took me a while to get the hang of it. It was an exciting moment, I had just got my 1rst bullseye at 560 yards. Before that I was barely hitting the target. It tends to be windy there. Wind is hard to learn, at least for me. Bullseye!
Old 10-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought a new remington 300 win mag and put on a limbsaver butt pad, It works great, thing kicks less than my 270. Its more of a shove than a swift kick that gets your shoulder hurting, I shot 20 rounds off the bench siteing it in and had no soreness at all.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

These guys are right on, while a good recoil pad will help in felt recoil the root of the problem likily lies in your technique.

I suffer from shoulder injury from being stupid as a kid/teen and playing sports injured, it is something I have to live with for the rest of my life. As a result of this injury I became scared to paper shoot, it never effected me in the field but on the range I just didn't want the boot. I tried going down in cartridge size but still had problems, until I enlisted some help from a experienced shooter (sniper pal of my uncles). He showed me that my fear was causing more discomfort and poor results in way of strictly technique. Instead of holding the rifle secure and rolling with the push I was feathering, tense and peeking/flinching. Basically said I expected something bad to happen everytime I got on the bench. He showed me or should I say re-taught me how to shoot with a high power rifle. While I still can't shoot severe recoil enough in practice to use I have gone back up the recoil ladder and shoot better than I ever remember I did previous.

I suggest you look into a recoil protection device to ease your mind. As well ask a knowledgeable shooter or hire an instructor to watch/help with your form.

Best of luck.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also always use a PAST recoil shield when shooting from a bench. You will never hurt yourself again with one of those. Muzzlebreaks work but at the expense of ruining your hearing. Your choice, you could also shoot something that does not beat you up as bad.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

1mile50,
I have used muzzlebrakes in the past and yes they work very well but stopped because of the hearing damage. I notice you use a VAIS brake. The manufacturer claims that it is much quieter than others like it. In fact they claim its about the same as an un braked rifle. What do you think of the VAIS?

Quick Reply: Hard Recoil/Sore Shoulder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.