Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 SKS for hunting? >

SKS for hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SKS for hunting?

Old 10-17-2004, 07:52 PM

Default SKS for hunting?

My father has not hunted in a lot of years, but I would like to get him back in it. He has an SKS and I have heard of people using it for deer hunting. I just wanted to get everyones opinion on the SKS as a deer hunting rifle. Keep in mind it will probably be shot no more than 100 yds, and if he enjoys hunting he will no doubt upgrade, in a big way. Anything that my dad gets into he goes all the way. Anyway, I would appreciate any and all comments.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SKS for hunting?

Does the SKS shoot the 7.6X39? If so, the ballistics are similar to the .30/30. Just make sure you get expanding bullets. A lot of ammo for the 7.6X39 is FMJ military stuff. Other than that, it would be a decent 100-125 yard deer cartridge.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:44 PM

The 7.62x39 round will take deer at 100 yards with proper bullets but it is not exactly optimal. Were I to hunt deer with an SKS, my biggest concern would be whether I could really keep my shots in a 6" circle at 100 yards with the sights that these rifles are equipped with. If I really, truly could, then I wouldn't hesitate, but my experience with these rifles, and in fact with most ex-military style rifles is that the sights are not all that easy for most of us modern day "over 40" shooters to do precision work with, especially in poor light. Also, SKS rifles vary greatly in quality and accuracy, depending on where it was manufactured and the condition they are in.

If this is a lead in to buying another rifle, by all means encourage your dad to go! Just try to keep him from taking too distant a shot. The really important thing is to have a chance to hunt with your dad. Good luck, have fun, and let us know how you do!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only determinant factor on using an SKS for hunting is the accuracy of the gun. I've had several (22 or 23) SKS's in various configurations and by different manufacturers, and there is a HUGE difference between them. As long as his gun groups well, then I'd say go ahead and use it to whatever range it's accurate to (under 250yrds of course). One of my Norinco's is 1 MOA accurate to 250yrds with a 3-9x compact scope with the right ammo. With basic hardball stuff like UMC, or surplus crap, or Remington core-locts it puts out 1.2" groups at 100yrds and 3" groups at 200, while Winchester Super-X soft points (Only gun I've got that REALLY likes the Super-X's) it gets down to around 3/4" at 100yrds off a "field support" like a fence post or off the "monopod" I have on mine (folding spike bayonet!![8D]).

I took a doe two years ago with it at just under 200yrds with some home brewed ammo, she didn't even take a step.

That said, I've also had SKS's (mostly czech or Yugo's) that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at point blank range...I don't keep guns like that, but they are out there and they should not be hunted with.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's twp things you should do: Go to the range, and put up a paper plate at 100 yds. Have him practice from various shooting positions, and judge the results accordingly. Then, if it looks successful, find some ammo worthy of deer hunting.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:02 PM

I have taken many deer with an SKS I see no reason why not as long as the gun groups good at 100 yards.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:41 PM

I can't speak for all SKS rifles, but my dad can hit clay pigeons off of the backstop at the hunting range with iron sights. I have seen him hit one, hit the half, and hit the quarter, so I know the gun is accurate, but I have also thought about getting him an SKS scope. I am not sure of the quality of them though.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:51 PM

One thing to be aware of is your particular states regs on magazine capacity. My state is 7 round limit. Just something to remember.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:42 AM

There is no mag capacity limit here in Wisconsin, Ive seen hunters with 30 round banana clips.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:04 AM

While I have never used the SKS, I have used the 7.62x39 for years in my MAK-90. It is not what I would call accurate, but it is acceptable, I assume that the SkS will be the same. The cartridge is fine for deer and especially at the range you have described. I have even taken large pigs with mine, though not by choice, by opportunity, it still worked well. The one exception was definitely my fault, and simply a bad shot. Get a hollow point and go to work.