Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Leupold VXII Vs VXIII >

Leupold VXII Vs VXIII

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Leupold VXII Vs VXIII

Old 10-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leupold VXII Vs VXIII

Any no if the price difference is worth it to move up to the VXIII. Has anyone ever held up a VXII and a VXIII in low light conditions and noted a difference?

Here is my issue

VXIII 3.5-10X40 $459.00

VXII 4-12X40 AO $399.00

I would like the 4-12X40 with the AO but not sure if I would be better off with the VXIII.

Thanks
Tom
Old 10-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Leupold VXII Vs VXIII

I looked through both of them a week or so ago. Under the conditions I was viewing it in, I could see no real difference. It was however not very dark at the time. I have a VX-l and could see no reason to spend more than the 199.00 they sold for. 3X9x40.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have bought a ton of Leupold scopes in the past and I will not touch another ever again irregardless of what John Barsness rants about. Here is why...Their Vari-xIII line was grossly overpriced for what you were getting. They then try to compete with Zeiss Conquests with the new VX-III and actually claim that they are getting 98% light transmission on some models. No german or any other foreign manufacturer of scopes and optics even claims something like that. The fact they haven't been called on that fact is pretty surprising. Now the VX-III's are 3 piece per John Barsness and he says it makes no difference. I guess Zeiss,Swarovski,Burris,Bushnell and a few others must be stupid since they make 1 pc bodies. If you contact Leupold you get different stories on this once they claimed they were 1 pc but now say 3pc.

So to make a long story short if the Vari-xIII optics are now being put in the New VX-II that is a 3pc tube why would anyone buy a VX-III if that were the case? They didn't make the VX-III any better then the original VAri-xIII just made some changes to adjustment dials and eyepiece plus made it a 3pc tube to boot. If I had to buy a Leupold I would buy the VX-II only and no others in that lineup.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I concur with oldelkhunter 100%. In fact at the VXII price you quoted I would do some shopping as you will be able to find a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 for the 400 mark, there is no comparing either Loopy product to the Conquest Line. I did and now own 2 Zeiss's!!!!

ie:

Conquest 3-9x40, Z-Plex, Matte by Zeiss
Price: $389.00
[link]https://secure.theopticzone.com/webstore/shopping.htm[/link]
Old 10-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm trying to find my way to a zeiss website so that I can see what kind of cross hairs they have on that scope but I can't find it.

Thanks for the info so far.

Tom
Old 10-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Found it at cabelas.com
Old 10-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

One can find a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for $365.00 + S&H @ www.eurooptic.com Ph. 570-220-3159. Talk to Alex. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:12 AM
bigcountry

Hey, Oldelk did you see my Q and A in Rifle magizine this month about the Leupold. Can't believe he published it. Jury is still out for me on the VX's. He told me that the one piece thing is a gimick. I believe he is right, that a 3 piece is just a good if the parts are machined just right. But they have to be machined right.

Old 10-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had a truck load of scopes over the years. I have never had a problem with any of them concerning one piece or three piece construction. The only thing would be if they have in the past been using that as a selling point then just up and changed it and say it doesn't make a difference. I don't know if it does or not. I have some Luepolds but have never been a big supporter of them. I have had at least my share of problems with Luepolds. Mostly having to return them for customers when I sold guns and scopes.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:20 PM

I recently purchased a new VX-II 2x7x33 to replace a very troublesome VariX-II 2x7x33. The only reason is that I like the size of this scope on this particular rifle. The brightness of the VX is far superior than the older scope. When buying I also looked at a VX-III and didn't see any difference between the 2. I'll be honest and say that the IIIs were out of my price range anyway.

I've owned a boatload of scopes also, most Leupolds, but if I were spending the money again I might look pretty hard at Zeiss. I know I wouldn't buy a VX-III.

Quick Reply: Leupold VXII Vs VXIII

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.