Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 proper gun care in the field >

proper gun care in the field

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

proper gun care in the field

Old 10-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default proper gun care in the field

Just soliciting some opinions on proper gun care in the field. Last year I purchased 2 new rifles that i really want to take care of. What concerns does anyone have about hunting in the rain, sleet and snow. Both of my rifles are NON stainless, they are blued one with a syn stock and the other wood. The weather has been great since i started hunting with them and haven't encountered any adverse conditions. I know when i get back to rub them down with some light gun oil in and out, but what about in the field? Should i even be worrying about them getting wet, covered in snow etc..??? should i be concerned with them getting wet and snowed upon?

I used to hunt with a Mossberg 12 gauge and it's been thru all kinds of wet weather and i really didn't care due to it's relatively low cost. (just buy another type attitude) and it really doesn't show any type of wear even though its been in all weather. HOpefully my rifles will be the same.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:58 AM

Default RE: proper gun care in the field

Semi-
I have an 870 that I keep the same regards to as you do your mossberg. But I read you loud and clear on the rifles. Not sure if you can find it but an old-timer showed me RIG [Rust inhibitor Grease] quite some time ago. My first rifle, a Marlin 30/30, has been preserved by the stuff for 18 years probably longer since I bought it from the same old-timer. And care after the nasty weather to dry your gun and rub it down like you said seems smart.Maybe Use the RIG as prevention and an oil rag as cure. Anyone else have some advice?I'd love to learn some new tricks. Is it true that you need to let the firearm sit to room temp before cleaning it? Only reason I ask is because I don't get my first after the hunt cocktail until my gun is cleaned and stored till the next morning.