Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Lever Action Help >

Lever Action Help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lever Action Help

Old 10-04-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Lever Action Help

I have recently purchased a 30-30 win lever action. I am a bolt action person but i needed something a little more compact with less recoil for my little brother. I need some advice or tips on cleaning lever action rifles. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
Old 10-05-2004, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lever Action Help

Just be careful not to ding the muzzle when cleaning the bore. Feed the rod down the barrel carefully. Other than that, With the action open, you've got access to just about anything that gets dirty. If you're checking your bore, fold a small piece of white paper and place it into the breech at an angle so that it reflects light down the barrrel. Makes it easier to see.
By the way, I got better accuracy out of mine by loosening the screws on the barrel bands a little. I think it allows the barrel more latitude to vibrate.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Hi PB1:

I am not sure which lever you purchased. However, on the Marlin 1895, you have to remove a single screw (that holds the lever to the action) to take off the lever, bolt and ejector. Cleaning from the chamber is very easy and takes less than a minute to put back together. I think it is a much better option that cleaning from the muzzle.

Good luck.
CE
Old 10-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Praie_boy1, buy a 30 caliber bore snake from hoppes. You can clean your 94 from the breech with the snake.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:42 AM

i use a bore snake and electrical parts cleaner.permatex makes one that will not leave a residue/i open the lever and spray it generously.the inside will be cleaned well.i then use a can of air.just like on the keyboard, and spray the insides again.i lightly oil and then start on barrel.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:26 AM

I have a Win 94 and I clean from the muzzle with a regular rod, patches, and brush. I don't concern myself very often with the action itself but every once in a while I will spray it out with something like Gunscrubber and then put a few drops of oil on all the moving parts and cycle several times (WITHOUT ammo of course). This only takes maybe 15 minutes and it's good as new. I've been cleaning it this way since I got it almost 10 years ago and the bore still looks like it just came out of the box. As long as I don't let the barrel get too ho and/or dirty it will shoot 1.5" groups all day long from the bench.

30-30' rule and don't require as much maintenance as bolt guns.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:41 AM

You're going to love that little rifle.

If it were me, I'd've gotten a Marlin, but since about 5,000,000 Winchester 94's have been made, they must be doing something right. You might find that it works better when it's worn in a little--so work that lever a few hundred times!

Nice of you, too, to get a rifle for your little brother to use.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:07 AM

I miss my 30A and 94.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:57 PM

Hi all......I'm new on the board, looks like a good forum, I'm replying to this post
cause i may have an idea for cleaning the win 94. first the 336 marlin cleans the
same as the 1895, remove the Lever hinge screw, remove the lever, make sure
you got the bolt half way back.... pull it out, remove the clip, clean from the breech,
On winchester 94's take an old 7mm spent round, remove the primer....drill out the
primer hole....... hacksaw the nect down a bit. Put the neck side in the muzzle end
of the rifle.... push cleaning rod thru cartridge,, this will save the muzzle of the barrel.