Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best double action out there?? >

Best double action out there??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best double action out there??

Old 03-03-2002, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best double action out there??

I posted before about the vaquero, asking you're opinion on it, but then I realized that I want a double action, no single actions. I'm looking for a model similar to the vaquero, that I could take hunting, so it has to be accurate, double action in .357 or .45 win mag. What's the best one out there, I'm looking for a used one, so I can get it for under $400, any opinions out there??
I've also been looking at a few .45 in semiauto, I want one that looks really intimidating, cuz between hunting trips it will be a home defense gun. I'm looking for a win mag in semi, but can't find any, so I'll probably end up with an acp. I looked at some of the ruger models, but didn't really like any of them much, with longer barrels that is, I looked at some s&w's too, but wasn't to impressed with images over the web. Anyone have hands on experience with .45 acps that would be huntable, whitetails or maybe even bruins??
Old 03-03-2002, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best double action out there??

You'd have hard time beating a good, older, quality S&W Model 29 .44 magnum. The .45 Win Mag is not chambered in any revolvers I'm aware of. But, I now have a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull, and it is one fine, powerful, accurate revolver. It is well-made, and has the advantage of a muzzle brake-compensator arrangement and shock-absorbing rubber grips. I consider it to be easier to shoot, and give less recoil, than an S&W .44 mag of the same barrel length. I highly recommend the Raging Bull. You might also consider this revolver in the new .480 Ruger caliber. The Rugers are nice guns also, but are both too heavy for me and give too much recoil. Why Ruger doesn't put a muzzle compensator on the Super Redhawks in .454 and .480 caliber is a mystery to me.

Larry
Old 03-03-2002, 09:30 AM

Nomercy

With all do respect after reading your posts I think one of these places would be the best way to spend your hard earned gun money.

http://www.thunderranchinc.com/

http://www.gunsite.com/

http://www.frontsight.com/home.html

Old 03-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nomercy, Right off the top I wouldn't recommend a 45 ACP for hunting.There are so many great hunting handguns to choose from. My favorites are the Ruger Redhawks and Super Redhawks.S&W model 29's are no longer being made.The 29's were either Blued or Nickel. The S&W 629 is the same model in Stainless steel.The 29 and 629 are 44 mags. The 44 mags, 454 Casull's are excellent hunting cartridges. Not familar with the new Ruger 480.Never owning a Taurus Raging Bull I have no experience with one. eldeguello seems satisfied with his RB.Of course these guns are allot more then the under 400.00 you mentioned. Check www.gunsamerica.com you can find some good used and new guns on there.I don't want to start a whole new discussion about the 357 mag and deer hunting. I would go to a bigger caliber then the 357 mag.41 mag would be my Minimum.That's just my opinion.Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-03-2002, 01:24 PM

I have to agree with steelshooter, (no offense intended)a little education would be your best investment. A home protection handgun and a hunting handgun are two entirely different types of guns. Generally speaking a home protection gun is small, lightweight, and uncomplicated. You want it to fire when your in a worst case scenario, in the dark, groggy from waking up, and you don't want to have to think much, ie: not alot of moving parts. A revolver something in 38 spl. or 357 mag., 6 shot, stainless, and reliable. Hopefully you'll never have to use it, but if you do you want it to be second nature to you so practice alot. As far as a hunting handgun you want a longer barrel for a longer sight radius and more burn time on powder for higher velocity and power. Maybe even a scope. A 44 mag. is an excellent choice with a minimum 6 inch barrel, preferably 8 inches. The 45 win mag. is an excellent round but no one that I know of chambers that round any more. 357 mag. can work for hunting if you limit the range of your shots but would not be my first choice.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Steelshooter and wolf.I thought the same thing but didn't want to offend anybody.As far as a self defense and hunting guns ,it's like comparing Apples and Oranges. I would suggest reading up on this subject so you can make the right choices.Ruger Redhawk