Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Decided on a Savage 111FCXP3 >

Decided on a Savage 111FCXP3

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Decided on a Savage 111FCXP3

Old 09-26-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Decided on a Savage 111FCXP3

Hello All,

I just signed up today and already I have found this site very useful. I hunted when I was younger and just started up again finally after a good 10 years off, anyway enough about me. I am looking for a budget deer rifle and originally my two choices were between a Rem 710 and the savage as mentioned above. I have read a little on both and I got scared away from the Remington. Anyway now I am down to caliber. My choice are between the 30-06 and the 7mm Rem Mag. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each (Accuracy, recoil, whatever other relevant info is available) Primarily I will just be hunting for deer and may go for bigger game. Thanks ahead of time.

Oh and any comments on the gun would be appreciated as well.

Happy hunting....
Old 09-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Decided on a Savage 111FCXP3

Ummm....

Take your pick. Either will handle the same sized game equally well. Niether has a major advantage over the other. The 7 Rem. Mag. will shoot only slightly flatter than the .30-06 but may produce a little more recoil and muzzle blast. On the flip side, the 06 will handle up to 220 grain bullets, the 7 stops at 175.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:17 PM

The 30-06 is more adaptable to any number of hunting opportunities. As mentioned, the 30-06 has a real advantage of being able to handle heavier bullets. The 7mmRemMag can shoot flatter, having the option of loading for higher MV. The 7mmRemMag will have more felt recoil. Ammo for the 30-06 can be found anywhere where ammo is sold. 30-06 ammo can often be found on sale, especially when the "hunting season sales" are offered. 7mmRemMag ammo can cost double that of the 30-06 ammo. Both are good choices if you hand load your own ammo. Lots of inexpensive military surplus cartridges can be found for the 30-06, so going to the range for practice can be less expensive then with the 7mmRemMag. One disadvantage of higher velocity, as found with many 7mmRemMag loads, is shorter barrel life. In general, it can be said that the bore of a 30-06 will hold up longer and maintain accuracy longer, then will the bore of a 7mmRemMag.
If I were forced to have only one of those calibers in a high powered hunting rifle, the 30-06 would be my choice. Go to a retail firearms outlet and handle various rifles. If possible go to the range and fire a rifle chambered to both calibers. After that, buy the one with the features that you like best, and do not look back. Either cartridge will kill North American big game DEAD!
Old 09-26-2004, 09:33 PM

I have both and both are very good calibers. If I had to make a choice, I would still pick the 30-06. The future possibilities with the bullet choices available make this round a sure winner. It isn't the latest or the greatest, but it is still one of the best for any hunting you want to do on this continent. Good choice on the savage. They are very accurate in general and very reasonably priced.