Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Savage 111FCXP3 .30/06

Old 11-19-2002, 07:06 PM

Default Savage 111FCXP3 .30/06

I retired my Mosin Nagant 91/59 7.62x54R from active hunting (but not shooting) this year. Taking its place in the field is my new package rifle from Savage.

My rifle has the removable clip and a Simmons 3-9x 40mm scope. The scope was installed and bore sighted at the company. My first shot was a couple inches low at 25 metres so getting sighted in was a pretty easy affair. The rifle also came with two butler creek sling swivels and a "sling" (basically a one inch wide nylon strap). Except for the final sigthing in you pretty much take this thing brand new out of the box and go hunting.

During the sighting in, practice shooting and hunting I never had any mechanical problems (failure to feed/extract, stuck clip etc.) so far it seems pretty reliable. The trigger does feel a little strange but you have to remember I'm used to the 15-25lb pull of my 91/59's trigger. I didn't have any problems with the el cheapo simmons scope and I plan to leave it on until it starts acting up.

This rifle is fairly light and I had no problem carrying it all day.

Everyone comments about the accuracy of Savage rifles but I'm not qualified to comment. While I feel comfortable shooting big game out to 200 metres I am nowhere near a human ransom rest.

Living in Newfoundland I have 3 choices for big game: back bear, woodland caribou and newfoundland moose (smaller than western Canadian and Alaskan moose). The .30/06 is more than enough for any of these. I used a 180gr. Winchester Power Point to take a decent sized woodland caribou stag this season. One shot, meat in the fridge.

Price is what cinches it though. The package cost me less than $600.00 Canadian (taxes included!). Buying a similar quality rifle from say winchester or remington and outfitting it with a scope, rings, mounts,swivels and sling would have cost $200 - $400 more and that would still be with a fairly low cost scope.

All in all I'm more than satasfied with this purchase.

PS sorry for the long-winded rambling post.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:41 AM

Default RE: Savage 111FCXP3 .30/06

The Savage 111 package is a good deal and alot of gun for the money (I've seen it for $320.00 USD). Savage is selling alot of them.

Old 11-22-2002, 10:35 PM

Default RE: Savage 111FCXP3 .30/06

I hope you will enjoy it. I bought one last year and i have been shoting alot with it .the one thing i noteced is that remington bulets could not give me a good grouping in this gun.
I wonder what is your out come with the remingtons "if you ever tried them". Now I am using a "PMP" in 150 gr bulets and the grouping is extremly good.

SAFTY IS # 1
TOONS