Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Have You Passed on a Rifle Purchase & Been Sorry? >

Have You Passed on a Rifle Purchase & Been Sorry?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Have You Passed on a Rifle Purchase & Been Sorry?

Old 09-20-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Have You Passed on a Rifle Purchase & Been Sorry?

Below is practically a copy and paste of my reply to another post. But the question begs to be answered. I am the only one who has passed on a rifle purchase and then been very very sorry afterwards?

About a year ago I procrastinated on purchasing an 88 in .308 with a 3 digit serial made in the first year of manufacturing which had come out of a collection and was as close to mint as you could ever imagine. The dealer wanted $650.00 Cdn, (which is about $50.00 U.S. ). While I'm saying to myself "should or shouldn't I?" another guy came along and had the cash out of his pocket as quick as a flash. I still have bad dreams about missing that opportunity.

So..... has anything similar ever happened to you? gg.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have You Passed on a Rifle Purchase & Been Sorry?

Local shop got an israeli knock off semiauto Thompson carbine .45acp, had $400 tagged on it, I didn't have my checkbook, so I headed home after it, got a call when I got there that someone had already bought it!!! It wasn't much of a loss, but it stuck with me for a year and a half before I finally tracked another one down and bought it.

I also regret not buying the H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic from cabelas while it was only something like $200, and I regret not buying this New "Shop limited" (what this guy calls guns that he orders in and has some gunsmithing done before selling, then puts the absolute bottom dollar on) Marlin 1895 Cowboy .45-70. It was engraved on the reciever, had a short-stroke job done and the internals worked, replaced, and/or slicked so it almost fell open if you didn't hold the lever up, bear proof one piece extractor, one piece firing pin, a folding tang ladder sight and spirit level globe front sight from either lyman or williams. It also had a peep receiver peep sight and a scope mount and two sets of rings (1" and 30mm HIGH mounts), plus an extra wild west big loop lever that were going to go with it...he had $750 on it, when the gun itself at BEST can be bought for $550, and EACH of the sights could easily be $200, let alone the slick job and engraving. I bought one later, bought ladder sight and a spirit level globe front sight, and a scope mount, then had the action smoothed and single piece firing pin and extractors (no short stroke kit or trigger kit installed, no engraving, no peep sight, no extra rings, no extra lever)...mine cost me just under $800.

Looking back now, I would have gotten a HECK of a deal, and I'll be danged if that guy's not refusing to make up another one of those rifles to sell to me!!![:@]
Old 09-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

absolutely..WHen I had little money a dealer in my area was selling Colt SAuer rifles for 250 dollars...I wish I had borrowed the money to buy 1/2 dozen of those things at the time.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:23 PM

About 2 months ago I passed on a Belgian Browning Safari Grade in 30-06. No salt wood and it had not been altered in any way. By far one of the nicest stocks I have ever seen. $390. What was I thinking?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

About 20 times that I recall. I have cancelled layaways several times then kicked myself for doing it.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goodguy, I walked away from a pre64 Win in 300 Holland & Holland. (Oh, that hurts.)
Old 09-20-2004, 08:12 PM

Biscuit

Ooooh that does hurt. Have a look at mine. Go to www.moose.funtigo.com go to page 4.

Interesting signature. "Tucson Sweet" Is that a private recipe or what?? gg.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:13 PM

No because i'm a south paw, which therefore limits the number of gun that i can use. I'm strickly a varmint hunter so remington makes the only varmint left ahnd gun. And if i am too use a right hand then i need a gun in which the bolt doesn't hit my thumb, the only gunmaker that makes a right hand like that is Tikka, Sako's hit my thumb like all the others.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have passed on a few either from not knowing what I was looking at or just not wanting to spend the money . A Yellowboy for $100. at a horse auction (No body even bid on it ), a 1895 Win private sale for $95. and a German Luger for $75. Thats just to name a few .