Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Excited!!

Old 09-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Excited!!

Well I ordered a new Hogue overmolded stock and a bushnell elite for my 8x57 98 mauser last night, cant wait for them to get here. I needeed to do some work with it since it is my favorite rifle. Also working on some loads for it with 200 grain partitions. Also plan on powder coating my scope mounts.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Excited!!

Sounds like a nice outfit. What is your first planned hunt with it?
Old 09-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

James,
I'm gonna carry it whitetail hunting here in november but still trying to decide what my next traveling hunt will be, really cant decide thats is why i put a post in the big game forum called Hunting Trip. Wanna hunt everything eventually, but really am leaning towards elk. Also considering mulies, blacktails, moose, bear, caribou, and on and on!!! Also want to kill a prarie goat with that rifle someday even though i went to Wyoming in 2001 and killed a nice one with a 270 WBY.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cant find them anywhere around here and i looked on cabelas website before ordering they werent listed and i forgot all about asking when i placed my order. I wanna try them.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:08 PM
DM

I've used the 200 Nosler partitions's from my 8x57jrs drilling on blk. bear, moose, white tails, javelina, coyotes, ect., ect.., and they have worked perfectly on "everything".

Yes, it's a bit on the tough side for smaller animials, but i couldn't be happier with my one load/combo for everything with this cal..!!! I have no intentions of changeing to any lighter weight or make of bullet for any of my hunting!!

I shot the javelina with the above gun and load.

Drilling Man

Old 09-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wher ya live JD??????? I get most of my stuff from Jays due to me living fairly close to there! It only took them 3 years to get winchester 8x57 brass in. I did buy the last of their 200 grain partitions though. PM me sometime id like to get together and shoot Something!!! I live 1 hour and 10 min north of GR!!!!

Hey DM, the 200 grain partition was what I was gonna make my "only" load for my 8, what is your 8 chambered in?????????? Seems like youve done everything how does it work on bigger critters??? Grandpa shot a moose with it back in the 60's and dumped it.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:32 AM
DM

My 8x57jrs is chanbered in a Krieghoff drilling. The gun was made in Oct. of 1935, and i know the guy who "took" it out of a castle in Germany tward the end of WW11. He had it at his mothers home in the mountains in Califirnia, and only used the shotgun bbls, as he had no idea what rifle ammo to buy for it. I'll leave that story right there, and fast foreward to when i got it.

When i got it, the stock was broken is several pieces, the shot bbls dented, and the over all gun looked fairly rough, BUT the rifle bbl was in "perfect" condition!! Through my eyes, i had something completely different pictured, so i got to work on it.

Once restocked, and completely rebuilt, i started useing it for much of my hunting. Over the years it's put a lot of meat in the freezer, and i still look foreward to hunting with it. In the last several years, i haven't used anything else.

The 8mm NP does a great job on everything i've shot, and that includes, from moose on the big end, to coyote on the small end. It also works well enough on white tails, that i see no reason to go to a lighter buller for that size animial either.

I ended up with the 8mm because it came along "with the gun" i wanted, but i ended up loveing the caliber too!!

So far, i've only found this one pict of my drilling.

Drilling Man

Old 09-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well my new stock and scope have arrived. So far so good have it completely reassembled after a few drop in alterations to the stock.. Cant wait now to get it to the range.