Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 30-06 & 7mm Mag >

30-06 & 7mm Mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-06 & 7mm Mag

Old 09-15-2004, 12:39 PM

Default 30-06 & 7mm Mag

Which would have more recoil, the 30-06 or the 7mm Mag?
Old 09-15-2004, 12:59 PM
DM

Default RE: 30-06 & 7mm Mag

"If" they are the same total weight, and the same bullet weight is used, then the 7 mag. will have slightly more recoil. (bigger case, burns more powder)

Lighten up the 06, and use heavier bullets than in the 7 mag, and it starts shifting the other direction.

Keep in mind, "normally" a 30-06 from the factory is lighter and will hold one more round in the magazine than a 7 mag, and usually has 2" shorter bbl too.

In general, in hunting form, the 7 mag will have a bit more "felt" recoil.

Drilling Man

Old 09-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

If you want to mess around with some numbers, this calculator will show you the recoil in foot-pounds for various load combinations:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/resc...php/recoil.htm

You will need the powder weight of the load to do the calculation. This site gives some examples of powder weights for each caliber:

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/loadlist.asp
Old 09-15-2004, 10:35 PM

While you are checking out links.......

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Gives an idea on all sorts of recoil in just about all calibers.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:43 PM

Thanks guys for the websites. Great info.

Someone told me that a synthetic stock absorbed some of the recoil over wood. Since I have never owned a rifle with a synthetic stock before, I always thought that the synthetic stock made it lighter, therefore you could expect more recoil over wood. Is this true?
Old 09-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Typically the 7mm would have a little more recoil, because of the larger powder charge. But like everyone said it depends on the weight of the rifle and the round used. I have hunted with both and currently use a 7mm and the recoil doesnt bother me at all. I had a NEF handi rifle in 30-06, it was like 36 inches from butt to tip of barrel. Shooting a 180 grain corelokt it had serious muzzle jump and would kick the crap out of you if you didnt hold it tight. With that load it made my Rem. 700 in 7mm feel like a .22. But then the handi-rifle was a good bit lighter and shorter.