Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cleaning tips >

Cleaning tips

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cleaning tips

Old 09-14-2004, 12:09 PM

Default RE: Cleaning tips

[quote]ORIGINAL: arobacker

Anybody use the Otis Bore Solvent? They say it cleans/lubricates and protects all in one shot... Too good to be true?
quote]

I believe that cleaning and lubricating are two separate animals. A solvent that cleans and lubes may get powder fouling but won't get copper fouling. Likewise, a good copper cleaner will not lube your bore.

If you are keeping good accuracy, keep cleaning with a powder remover. When accuracy degrades start using your more aggresive copper removers like Barnes CR-10. For a complete copper or lead cleaning I like Outers Foul Out system.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-15-2004, 08:09 PM

I think that the Outers Foul Out system is awesome for a complete cleaning. I use it every three to four cleanings. It seems that no matter what solvent you use you can always pull more copper out. I have experimented with trying to pull copper out with CR-10 after using the Foul Out and was unable to. If you want all your fouling out with a minimum of wear on your gun and elbow, I highly recommend it. It seems expensive on the surface but the required solution goes further than expected. Well worth it.

If you shoot anything with lead then you really need this system. By far the best lead remover I've ever seen. Pull the rod out of a fouled bore and it looks like a magnet with iron filings.

Haven't noticed an appreciable accuracy improvement as I usually don't let them get that far between cleanings.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i found the outers system very time consuming. you have to plug both ends of the barrel and rely on the lights to tell you whats happening. you need all day to baby sit this contraption. im still up in the air as to if it worked for me so im gonna stick to the shooters choice copper remover.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same here, it is a nuisance to use that is why I use it once a year..I cannot walk away from that thing for a few hours . I bought a 700 KS in 280 used one time and it shot so and so. I ran the foulout thru it and the groups had a different point of impact. After about 20-30 rounds the gun settled down and shot extremely well.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

For 40 years or more, the ONLY SOLVENT I ever used was Hoppe's No. 9. Never had any problems. Then I found out I had been cleaning my guns "wrong" all those years when I read an article by Seyfried in the RIFLE Magazine. So I bought a bottle of Shooter's Choice which I have been using with complete satisfaction ever since, except that bore brushes have to be washed with hot, soapy warter right after use with Shooter's Choice, or the stuff will eat up the brush!!

Hoppe's DOES remove copper fouling, but it is a matter of weeks, not minutes, for it to act on metal fouling!

The more rounds you put through a rifle, the harsher the solvent you need to use.

Old Harry Pope once said that more bores are ruined by a cleaning rod than any other way. I've heard that there are contemporary gunsmiths who believe this also.