Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ammo comparison, Remington vs. Winchester >

Ammo comparison, Remington vs. Winchester

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ammo comparison, Remington vs. Winchester

Old 09-01-2004, 12:56 PM

Default Ammo comparison, Remington vs. Winchester

Well, with the season closing in on everyone, I had a question about the Remington ammo and Winchester ammo for my 7mm Mag. Are they different? Sure, I read some ballistics on both sites and Remington claim they get more fps, but how accurate are these numbers? Also, if you don't load your own rounds (like me), which one would you go with? I have been using Remington's 150 grain rounds so far and I am thinking about switching...

Any pointers?

Thanks

EDIT: I hunt deer only...
Old 09-01-2004, 01:00 PM

Default RE: Ammo comparison, Remington vs. Winchester

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/391976

Barnes - X > *
Old 09-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ir655, what shoots best in my gun may or may not be whats best for your gun! Don't take anyones word for what is best for your gun! The only way to find that out is to try different brands and loads for your own self!
Both the Winchesters and the Remingtons shoot well in my guns, I am currently having good results with the Remingtons in both my 7MM RM and my .308!
As I said, the only way to know, is to try different loads for yourself! My guns handle the cheap stuff even better than the premium brands costing 3 times as much! I've tried Federal Premiums and Hornady's, and I don't mind paying more, IF they shot better in my guns! That is not always the case though! Every gun is different, some have more expensive tastes than others, so find out what yours likes best!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not used many factory shells of any kind but I have had pretty good luck on deer with both Remington and Winchester factory loads. This however is with a 30-06 which handles deer well with almost any ammo. I like the old Winchester 150 grain silver tips best of all factory ammo I have used. I reload 99 percent of my ammo.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

I have not used many factory shells of any kind but I have had pretty good luck on deer with both Remington and Winchester factory loads. This however is with a 30-06 which handles deer well with almost any ammo. I like the old Winchester 150 grain silver tips best of all factory ammo I have used. I reload 99 percent of my ammo.
I would like to get into loading my own ammo some day, but it seems like a lot of equipment and that you need to shoot a lot, for it to be worth it. I use my gun during hunting season only, maybe couple of times during summer, but thats it.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

ir655, what shoots best in my gun may or may not be whats best for your gun! Don't take anyones word for what is best for your gun! The only way to find that out is to try different brands and loads for your own self!
Well said!!!!....

although before I got into reloading I tried many different brands of ammunition, and found that no matter what caliber I was shooting, 06, 7mm, 25-06, 30-30, that all of my guns overall did better with Winchester ammo, I'm saying overall, meaning, if I got a new rifle, I would try Winchester first, then (but rarely) move to another if it didnt work. I find for deer the Ballistic Silvertips from Win are so very hard to beat, I used to shoot them in 5 of my 7 "deer" caliber guns. just my .02 worth
Old 09-02-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

When i use to shoot factory ammo i had good success with both the Rem 150gr pointed soft point and the Win 150gr power point from a 30.06. I think either will serve you well with the 7mag it's just a matter of which one shoots the most accurate with your rifle.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:33 AM

Personally, when I shoot factory, be it .22, centerfire rifle, or shotshells, I use Federal. I have yet to own a gun that didnt prefer federal ammo. For me, they have always been the most accurate as well. Better quality too. I had a Winchester factory .303 British round blow in half in the chamber, a friend had this happen in .243 as well. I've seen Remington brass that was cracked at the neck, and actually "Peeling" apart." Where the worst thing that I have seen with Federal is tarnishing on the case. They have my vote.