Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester 100 ? >

Winchester 100 ?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester 100 ?

Old 08-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Winchester 100 ?

I had several 35 yrs ago but never messed with them trying to get them more accurate. Sold them all and have hunted with a BAr ever since. The BAR is heavy and ackward for me but it works and shoots great.
Went int0 a store this morning and there sat a very good Win 100. I'm very tempted to buy this rifle but I want your imput first.
I have heard they jam badly, have poor accuracy and there is no way to improve this. Are there any little tricks that would help ?
It is a very sleek rifle,lighter then my bar and fits like a glove. I had forgotten just how hunter friendly they were.
What can you tell me before I spend my hard earned money ?
Old 08-29-2004, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Winchester 100 ?

You used to shoot them, you tell us what you think. If I were to by one, first thing I would do is see how it shoots. Will it do 1 1/2 inches? Is so, than you got yourself a 300 yard hunting rifle. You really don't need hole in hole groups to kill a deer. Everyone has got into these shooting magazines too much. They say unless you are shooting a bolt action, minute-of-grain-of-salt-rifle, you will never be able to hit an animals vitals the size of a basketball. Funny how that is isn't it? Guys were killing deer dead with unrifled muskets shooting non-expanding lead balls at turtle slow speeds, with firing systems that were less than reliable for centuries. Now all of a sudden, that just won't fly to guys like Col. Craig or who ever. Buy your rifle, carry it proudly, shoot it well and enjoy.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

I'd buy it. I have heard that the POI starts to walk as the barrel heats up, but I have not experienced that. Put the first one where it counts and you don't have to worry about the walking!
Both the Model 88 and 100 have sparked some collector value, I believe.
Brian
Old 08-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I'd say go for it too, as long as the gun checks out in good physical condition. If at all possible, see if you can remove the action from the stock to verify the condition of the op slides & such. I had one of the op slides break on me a year ago and there are ZERO parts available for replacement - so I had it welded and so far it had been fine. But parts ARE scarce, so if you're looking for a "shootin' all the time gun" this may not be the best choice, but for occassional hunting and for collector value - it's a fun toy.

I've not had any jamming problems with mine (a 1st year, 1961 model) - but like all gas-operated guns, it's best to not shoot hot loads out of it and keeping the gas system clean will stop any potential jamming and accuracy problems.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

What caliber is the Winchester 100 in? And what are they asking for it? I'd give a bunch of $$ for a Win 100 in .284 Win if it appeared in good shape and functioned decently. Most gun shops will warantee the gun for a short period of time at least. Nothing wrong with the .243 or .308 offering either......I'm just partial to the 7mm bore.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:15 PM

As you probably know there was a problem with the firing pin breaking with the pin jamming protruded resulting in firing as the bolt closed on the new round. I'm not sure if this was corrected in later models or not. A recall/retrofit was done. Was the rifle you're looking at retrofitted with the new pin? If not, you would want to have it done assuming it can still be. Others better informed than I could be more specific. gg.