Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Custom Mauser Detail Questions >

Custom Mauser Detail Questions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom Mauser Detail Questions

Old 08-25-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Custom Mauser Detail Questions

Ok, I have decided to have my VZ 24 Mauser built into a custom gun since I have an as-issued Yogo on the way. I am NOT doing this project to save money, but rather to have a gun that will be totally my own.

I have the caliber picked out I think, though it is not set in stone. I currently have a .223 and .30-06, so I have decided on the .257 Roberts as the caliber. I feel that the cartrige will fit the best in the magazine considering that the 8mm is the parent case for it. Any other suggestions are ok, but I feel that would be the best for a combo deer/antelope cartridge.

I have a couple of questions on the details of the gun. What barrel length would be good. I am thinking that 22" would be about perfect for this caliber. Would that be ok, shorter, longer?

A question for those who have had custom guns done before on Mauser actions... What type of safety have you used and what do you feel would be best. I am either looking at a Rem 700 type or the Winchester 70 type trigger. I like the trigger on my current model 70, but have not used the 700. Which do you feel is better?

The trigger will be a Timney trigger, the barrel will be Shileen. I am not sure yet as to if we will change the current magazine well and trigger guard or not.

I am going to start this either in January or February (hopefully earlier, but probably not). I am going to do a "pay as you go" plan. I will initially pay the gunsmith for the barrel and barrel work, and the work to be done to the bolt. I will then pay for the trigger, safety, drill and tap for mounts, etc. Then I will pay for the bluing and final finish work to the gun. Finally I will pay for the stock and stock work. This will allow the gunsmith and myself flexibility, should something go wrong, and the gun cannot be completed, I am not in the hole to the gunsmith, and he is not obligated to finish it till I pay for the specific work to be done.

Does this sound like a good plan? I still have plenty of time to consider options, so I am open for suggestions!!

Thanks,

Charlie Brown
Old 08-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Custom Mauser Detail Questions

Man, you've got the bug.......and I understand.

The .257 Roberts is a good choice for that purpose.....deer/pronghorns..... I recently attached a #1 Douglas barrel 21" to a VZ-24 in 6.5X55 and that's fairly close in performance to the .257 Roberts.

I'd recommend either the 2 position M-70 type safety from Brownells or the Dakota 3-position M-70 style safety from Brownells. There's a big difference in price but it's your money. The three position safety will run at least $100 more than the two position safety.

The standard Timney trigger (sportsman) is a superb trigger and I'd use it without a question.

Your VZ-24 will also accommodate the 6.5-06 as well as the .280 Remington so you might want to reconsider the choice to .25-06 or one of the two listed calibers as well as the .257 Roberts. It'll also handle the .240 Weatherby without rail work or bolt face alteration....something to think about.

Best of luck with the project....send a private email and I'll help you with some of the particulars.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Custom Mauser Detail Questions

Thanks for the reply Vapodog!!

Yeah, I think I have the bug too!!

I bought the gun sometime last year...August actually with one of two intentions... get it to shoot, or turn it into a custom. Well, it won't shoot, I can't get 3" at 25 yds, and it is REAL rough in feeding and extraction. Plus, I have a Yugo 24/47 on layaway right now in AS-ISSUED conition with matching serial #'s!! So I think after about 2 years from the purchase, that old beat up pile of wood and metal sitting in the corner, that has proably seen more bullets down the bore than anyone cares to imagine will have a new life!!

Can't wait to get this thing started!! I will PM if other smaller details come up, thanks for the suggestions.