Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remmington 700 Triggers to tight?? >

Remmington 700 Triggers to tight??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remmington 700 Triggers to tight??

Old 08-05-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Remmington 700 Triggers to tight??

Picked up an 700 ADL 2 seasons ago in a .270. I have been pretty happy with it except that damn trigger. It's tooo damn tight. I picked up a model 7 in a .260 for my young sons and found that along with the porting it must have had some trigger work done. Very light and smooth. I was talking with a guy at a local sporting goods store and he thought the 700 may have an internally adjustable trigger. Is this true? Or must i pay a gun smith to either work the one I have or should I juts go ahead and replace the entire trigger assy.? Unless I am real careful, at the range, I tend to pull a little to the right.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:41 PM

Default RE: Remmington 700 Triggers to tight??

the quality of remmingtons has decreased in recent years in my opinion. i also have a 700 and it to has a hard trigger pull. i have been to lazy to do anything about it as i can shoot it accurately enough to hunt with.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:45 PM

Like you I have been using it as is and havn't missed yet but I have found on 2 of the deer from last season that I had pulled off to the right a few inches. So while they still dropped on the spot I like to see that I hit exactly where I aimed.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

FYI...http://quarterbore.com/library/artic...00trigger.html
Old 08-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is adjustable and pajack link will show you how to do so. If your at all worried about performing this task a gunsmith will do it very reasonably. If no parts need replacement here it costs 25 bucks for model 700 trigger to be adjusted by a smith.

The biggest thing I have seen is guys reduce the pull but don't touch the travel adjustment, making it very sloppy and not crisp.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep the 700 trigger is easily adjusted.

When you adjust it you only want the slightest ammount of overtravel so the sear has just enough room to reset itself.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:14 PM

A remington 700 or 7 trigger is easily adjusted. all of mine have been and i have done many for friends. adjusted properly they are great.
just make sure you know what you are doing. pajack gave you a great link to learn how.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

G-town,
If you feel comfortable following instructions off the web, then by all means go ahead, BUT, if you are the least bit unsure, TAKE IT TO A SMITH!!!! My friend took his 700 classic to a reputable smith in our area, and he did the job while we watched, yes it is fully adjustable, but there are other things to check out, like making sure the trigger isnt too light and the gun fires from a light impact, (our gunsmith used a rubber mallet and tapped all around the gun after he was done to insure a misfire was not possible) also, unless you have a trigger pull guage you wont know what pound it is set at, the smith will have one of these. Most hunters prefer a trigger set somewhere between 2 3/4 -3 3/4 lbs with a slight bit of overtravel, so you dont jerk the gun on the followthrough. He charged my buddy ~$25 to do the job, it was done right, and he said if he found anything he didnt like about it he could bring it back for adjustments!! I think you cant go wrong if you take it to a smith, and you will have the peace of mind that it is done correctly.

just my opinion hope i helped
Old 08-07-2004, 05:30 PM

I had both mine adjusted by my smith,$25 a piece.It helped me out considerably
Old 08-08-2004, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 700s have one of the best factory triggers available. The only problem is that they are set from the factory by lawyers, not shooters. If you don't adjust it yourself or have someone else adjust it for you, you are wasting a very good trigger.

Quick Reply: Remmington 700 Triggers to tight??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.