Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 9.3x62 Who owns one and likes it ? >

9.3x62 Who owns one and likes it ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

9.3x62 Who owns one and likes it ?

Old 08-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default 9.3x62 Who owns one and likes it ?

Must be getting into Old cartridges these days looking at one of these as well in a CZ.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:17 AM

Default RE: 9.3x62 Who owns one and likes it ?

Hi oldelkhunter,

I've never owned a 9.3x62 though I have shot several and did own a Steyr in 9.3x64 Brenneke. The 9.3x62 is a very useful cartridge throwing bullets slightly heavier and with a slight advantage in diameter over the .35 Whelen. Energy levels with most loads are also slightly more powerful than the .35 Whelen.

The 9.3x62 is the cartridge that Mauser used to capture most of the market in Africa a little over a century ago. It could be chambered in relatively light, bolt action rifles, with decent magazine capacity, all for a very reasonable price. It was one of the most common calibers on that continent at least until the Second World War when Germany lost control of its colonies and much of its influence on the continent. Though it has made a fairly strong comeback where hunting is still allowed in Africa. The 9.3x62mm is specifically listed as the "minimum legal" cartridge in many of those same countries. It is obvious from its track record that it is both a well thought of, and very effective cartridge!

A number of American manufacturers currently produce bullets in 9.3mm so availability is not a problem. Cases are also reasonably available so reloading is not a real problem either. In a pinch any .30-06 case (or its siblings like .270, .35 Whelen, etc.) may be used for a very simple reforming process if a person desires.

It's a truly worthwhile cartridge if you don't mind the fact you can't find ammo in every sporting goods store. I'm seriously looking at a CZ in that caliber, maybe even the full stocked version!

Dave

P.S. Check out this link:

http://www.african-hunter.com/the_9_3_x_62_mauser.htm

Hope this helps!
Old 08-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 9.3x62 Who owns one and likes it ?

akbound, I too am intrigued by the CZ