Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Someone plz help out the new guy !!! >

Someone plz help out the new guy !!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Someone plz help out the new guy !!!

Old 08-04-2004, 06:53 AM

Default RE: Someone plz help out the new guy !!!

8mm/06 posted the advise that I would give on a rifle and caliber. Economical and accurate.
The only thing I would add is to spend more time at the range with your new rifle. Learn good shooting technique and shoot more often. The more you shoot the more comfortable you'll become.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:52 AM

The use of highly visable colours is recommended. Look at it this way, if you sit perfectly still, and the deer can't smell you, they wont see you either. No, they are not totally colour blind, like some people say. And I don't know what colours they can see well. But I have been within yards of deer, in normal blue jeans and shirts. If I didn't move, they never knew I was even there. And since you will be rifle hunting, and lets say your shots will be around 100 yards, well, even at 290 pounds, your still pretty small looking at that range, hunkered down, and not moving. Plus, like big country said, it might save your life. People may look at you and laugh for walking around like a flashing strobe light, but at least they can see who their laughing at. Right? Animals like coyotes and waterfowl are a different story. Their vision is supurb, and I highly recommend the use of camo. As for a rifle, I don't think your a pansy, you just need some experiance shooting lighter recoiling rifles. If you start off bad, you will start to flinch and pick up other bad habits that will be hard to overcome. If you are only hunting deer for now, the .270 should be at the high end of calibers on your list. It is the perfect choice for deer, elk and even moose. The 7mm-08 remington is a little lighter on recoil, but it still delivers near .270 performance. A .243 would be a better choice for you right now. They kick very little, you will be able to learn to shoot it very well, and I'm pretty sure you can find a good deal on a used one around home. Down the road, if you want to get somthing bigger, trade it in. No harm, no foul. Good luck, keep us posted, and don't get dead!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:57 AM

ISG, Asking a question about which caliber rifle on a forum like this is like asking a room full of car dealers which is the best car. IMHO, you are doing the right thing to get started by taking an approved hunters safety course. That's the first step. You will meet people in your area that share your interest and know your local/state laws and will get you started correctly. They share the passion for the sport or they wouldn't be there teaching. Talk to them about which rifle you should use. They're likely to offer to let you try several different calibers as well as giving needed advice. Like anything else in life, start reading everything you can get your hands on related to shooting and hunting. Take your time. If you don't make this season, don't worry, there will be more. Arming yourself with knowledge will help you fall in love with our sport and start you towards a lifetime of good times and memories. Welcome and always, be safe!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll agree with what a few others have told you. If a guy your size is really bothered by .270 recoil, something is amiss. It is probably improper technique mixed with a gun that may not fit you well. Rifles kick, but a .270 is pretty mild IMO. Get squared away with the help of someone who knows what they're talking about. I weigh 190, and I can shoot my '06 and 45/70 without recoil bothering me for say 25- 30 rounds. Getting shoved around wears on the average guy after that many shots, but it still isn't painfull (maybe sore the next day though).

Shotgun slugs do kick pretty hard, especially a 3.5" out of a single shot. But again, if you experience a "broken shoulder" kind of recoil, I suspect something is up with your technique. It is good that you asked for help early on, before any bad habits really become hard to break.

For range work, consider using a shooting pad to allow you to get more work in. In a big game hunting situation, you will barely notice recoil.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:14 AM

To answer your earlier question about lever-actions...

I personally prefer the Marlin 336 in .30-30. A classic rifle at a reasonable cost (expect to pay under $200 for one in really good shape, maybe even with a nice scope on it if you're lucky). Also, ammunition is pretty cheap--around $9/box at Wal-Mart. You're going to want to practice quite a bit before trying your luck on a living critter, so cost of ammunition is a factor.

Winchester 94's are good rifles (they must be, since they've been in production for over a century), but I prefer the Marlin because it's a little sturdier and just feels more solid.

If there's a downside, it's that they're a little short. If you're like me and have long arms, a lever action might feel a little compact. I have to admit to feeling scrunched up when I shoulder a lever gun. (I still like 'em, though.)

If you want something longer and/or more powerful than a 30-30, buy a Savage bolt gun. Not the most beautiful bolt guns, but solid, reliable, accurate, and within your budget. If you're a pawnshop cruiser like me, you might find one in good shape for around $250-275. (On the other hand, if you're not really familiar with guns and aren't sure about how to evaluate a used firearm, stick with the new stuff.)

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the good advice. Payday is in about a week, and shopping will be on the day after that. Don't mind if I post a picture of me and my new rifle when I get it do you? That'd be pretty cool. Thanks !!!

ISG
Old 08-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ISG,
We are all glad to help a new hunter.Your best bet for a new gun I think would be a New England Single shot rifle in 243 or 7-mm-08.If you donot want a single shot I would go with the Savage package guns from Wal-mart or your local gun shop.Any caliber from .243 Winchester to 7mm-08 Rem will work for deer,just remember to use 100 gr bullets or bigger.
You also requested what else you will need,you will need a hunting license,knife,binoculars,hat,boots,your hunters orange,shells and pratice.There is alot of other stuff you might need so check with your uncle,it all depends on the type of hunting you will be doing.
If you want a scope I would sugest a Tasco or Bushnell 3x9x40 mm in the $40-$70 dollar range.These work well on the lighter recoil guns and are not to hard on your buget.
Then again if you buy a Savage package gun it comes with a scope & rings.
I realy think if you went with a 7mm-08 Rem with a 3x9 scope and 140gr bullet,you would be set for a long time and all for around $400 dollars.
BBJ
Old 08-04-2004, 09:44 PM

hey man i'm from mississippi.. magee mississippi.. 601-506-9229 is my cell if u need help.. my name is brandon thames.. u are more than welcome to cal me and i'll help you out if at al necessary.. like was said earlier, anyone here in the south is more than willing to help you with hunting.. who knows, i might get you a place to hunt.. well man, talk to you later... and don't worry about the .270, you don't need to shoot over 40 yds. here anywya 90 percent of the time.. get a .30-30
Old 08-04-2004, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: footballplaya

hey man i'm from mississippi.. magee mississippi.. 601-506-9229 is my cell if u need help.. my name is brandon thames.. u are more than welcome to cal me and i'll help you out if at al necessary.. like was said earlier, anyone here in the south is more than willing to help you with hunting.. who knows, i might get you a place to hunt.. well man, talk to you later... and don't worry about the .270, you don't need to shoot over 40 yds. here anywya 90 percent of the time.. get a .30-30
Brandon Thames? My fiance's name is Danielle Thames. Any relation? We can be hunting buddies !!! lol I appreciate the help, maybe you can go with me sometime too, cause I'd like to get to make some new friends in the sport. BTW we're down here in gulfport.

ISG
Old 08-05-2004, 10:32 AM

About the flourescent orange: Deer and most of your critters see black and white. Blaze orange will not affect them. What affects them more is movement and large unbroken solid colors. I personally prefer what is called blaze camo. It's orange with black patterns. Cabelas sells a great blaze camo vest that will go over any other clothing. You will need a head covering also, either ball cap or stocking cap. As far as the 500 sq. inch min. a vest and cap will easily meet this especially for a guy your size.

Other guys are giving good advice about firearms. I agree with either the Savage combo in .270 or a Marlin 336. Great beginner guns. Shoot, they are good guns for anyone. Ask your fellow Miss. hunters. Probably half of them use a 30-30.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.