Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Someone plz help out the new guy !!! >

Someone plz help out the new guy !!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Someone plz help out the new guy !!!

Old 08-03-2004, 11:31 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Someone plz help out the new guy !!!

Believe me, when you show up at a local southern range, there will be people there more than glad to give you advise. Wished you lived closer, or I would let you try out a few of my calibers. A 270 will be perfect for a guy your size. Just be humble. If you follow my 5 box program, I bet you will much more comfortable and ready to take a deer.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:35 AM

ISG, here is a link to your states department of wildlife, you should be able to find all the info regarding game laws in your state, ie if you have to wear orange, whether or not u can use rifles to hunt deer, etc etc
http://www.mdwfp.com/

looks like you must wear orange during deer season and being only 20 you must take a hunters safety course before you can buy a hunting license.

the 30-30 is a good deer rifle is your shooting under 175 yrds

another thing you should do is talk to your uncle and ask him to spend some time with you and teach you good marksmanship, sounds like he is experienced.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:11 PM

I got a 270 when i was 12. I have shot 5 deer with it and i am taking it elk hunting this year. I think that is a perfact caliber. Not too much kick, not too big for deer but big enough for elk if you would ever move up to the big leagues. I dont know how much you plan on spending but i bought a Remington Model 700 BDL in .270 and it was the best thing i ever did.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the advice (although I'm sorta getting this "this guy must be a pansy if he can't even stand recoil from a .270" kinda vibe). My budget on a rifle is $400 max not including accessories, cause I can buy those later. I may go check out the lever action rifles, since I like the John Wayne kinda thing. Anybody tried the 94 series winchesters? What are some good lever action manufacturers?

Also I enrolled in a safety course that's scheduled to take place on Aug. 13, and my first hunt will be sometime in november, so I'll have more than enough time to practice my shot beforehand.

And this last one is driving me insane. On the link t roy gave me, it says I have to wear a minimum of 500 square inches of flourescent orange clothing during deer season. Isn't it counterproductive to stand out like a sore thumb? Wouldn't the deer (or anything else for that matter) see you, and run away?
Old 08-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd check out a Savage package with scope, bore-sighted in 7mm/08. Moderate recoil with plenty of authority for deer hunting. Decent rpice too. The scope can always be re-cycled to a .22 later when you want to upgrade to some decent glass.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:40 PM

Don't think your a pansy because a 270 is to much. It would be better to shoot a smaller round more accurately than one where you are likely to flinch. And wearing blaze orange is for safety. Other hunters need to see you from a long distance. Especially in areas where rifles are permitted. We have to wear min. 400 Sq. In. and a cap in ill for shotgun season. And the blaze orange doesn't seem to bother the deer. A biologist once told me deer can't see the same colors we can. Go to a gun shop and look at some different rifles. Find one that fits you and your budget. And keep reading and learning. I have been hunting for ten years now, and i am still learning. And most of all, good luck.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:58 PM

InvisibleSkullGrabber,

Hunting season is coming up in short order. Beware of information overload. You need to pick a course of action and get started and stay with it in order to be "semi-ready" when your uncle picks you up to go hunting. If you are going to rely on the internet, then....

IMHO, Big Country gives good (and complete) advise on multiple points to get you to that point between now and then.

Okay --- exceptions --- if you don't like 270's then drop it down a notch, perhaps 243. For a first big game rifle I'd recommend the bolt action and have it fitted to you by a gunsmith. 90% of folks shoot their rifles right out of the box based on "one size fits all" --- you're a big boy --- I'm betting the 270 you handled was probably to short for you, thus the unpleasant experience. Lever actions also, in general, tend to be short stocked little things. The lever gun may give you that John Wayne fantasy, but if you look at hunting/firearms literature I think you'll see the bolt action rifle dominates the American Big Game scene --- there must be a reason.
-----------------------

If you are looking for advice face to face, then perhaps your uncle is "volunteering" to be your hunting mentor but is waiting for you to ask for the help. If this is anywhere near true, then consider explaining your $400 limit and your aversion to recoil in choosing a rifle and "consult" with him as to what to get. No one is in a better position, to "read" what you need in order to be ready for hunting day. Hopefully he is willing and trustworthy.

EKM
Old 08-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Hi ISG:

Go take a Hunter Safety Course, since you have to anyway. The courses are usually a few hours for two or three evenings, and only cost a few dollars. The folks you meet there will give you great information on local laws, and better prepare you for hunting. You will likely be able to ask wardens specific questions about use of camo/orange etc, as well as minimum calibers requirements, and all your other questions.

I'd bet your setup is wrong if you feel uncomfortable with a .270. Go to a public range, or ask the Hunter Safety Instructor for the local NRA instructor. If you spent a session or two with them, you would be much better off.

Good Luck.
CE
Old 08-03-2004, 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: ColoradoElk

Hi ISG:

Go take a Hunter Safety Course, since you have to anyway. The courses are usually a few hours for two or three evenings, and only cost a few dollars. The folks you meet there will give you great information on local laws, and better prepare you for hunting. You will likely be able to ask wardens specific questions about use of camo/orange etc, as well as minimum calibers requirements, and all your other questions.

I'd bet your setup is wrong if you feel uncomfortable with a .270. Go to a public range, or ask the Hunter Safety Instructor for the local NRA instructor. If you spent a session or two with them, you would be much better off.

Good Luck.
CE

i agree with ya on that one..........thats what i had to do with the NRA instructor & all and im setup at a .270 & thats jus right for me.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think with a little bit of practice a .270 Win. will work out well for you. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.