Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 RUM OWNERS (Scirocco Questions) >

300 RUM OWNERS (Scirocco Questions)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 RUM OWNERS (Scirocco Questions)

Old 08-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 300 RUM OWNERS (Scirocco Questions)

Real accuracy buffs use 5 and 10 shot groups, not 2, or 3 nor 4. But if it makes you happy shooting 2,3 or 4 shot groups go for it!

heck, the best groups I shoot are only 1 doubleA

.......really, knowing where that first shot is going is the most important thing, tiny groups of under .100" dont take big game any better that a rifle that does 1" out to....... say 500 yards, in which most shots are well under that.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:35 AM
bigcountry

If I got partitions flying good, I wouldn't waste my time or barrel worrying about ballistic tips. I think they are better suited for little lower velocity, and with a partition, thats all the bullet you will need for any animal. I got my TSX flying really well, and its the last bullet I will work up for my 300RUM. No need too.

If you got you a target bullet like matchking, and got you a bonded or solid hunting bullet, you are set.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a .300 RUM, but in my .300 Wby the 180gr. Sciroccos have shot pretty well, less than MOA that is. However, I've been less than impressed at how they perform on game, so I quit using them. They're better suited for a milder cartridge or at least longer ranges if you can get them to shoot, which seems to be a problem based on the posts here.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Fork Horn

My 7mm RUM shoots Scirocco's very well but that's another caliber and results may vary. I've only killed two deer with it but both dropped on their noses. I'll buy 7mm Scirocco's from anyone not happy with them. I don't understand why Remington doesn't have the Scirocco in their 7mm RUM lineup?
Old 08-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Spike

If anyone is interested I have had quite a go round with the Swift Scirocco. In my 300 RUM I could not get the things to group with the slow powders. In my other posts I describe my tests with the faster RL22. It changed everything with the Swifts. Seems to be tremendously consistent. With velocity in the 3350 range. These bullets are also a full .2 " from the lands. I thought the ogive configuration placed them too far back to achieve accuracy. My Stoney Point comparator, however, shows them to be no further back than ballistic tips. And they sure are flat.

Last fall in Colorado I took a mule deer at 280 yards and a cow elk at 400 (laser ranged) with my old load which quite frankly were not grouping like I wanted but I had to go with what I had.

As for performance I was impressed. Both animals dropped. The real test came when I unexpectedly had to put my partners deer down at a distance of 10 yards. I just knew the bullet would fly all to crap at about 3400 fps but it did not. Don't know if it means anything but that is my take.

Also I have noticed a slight inconsistency from lot to lot in OAL. The only real way to tell how you have them seated is with a bullet comparator. The OAL can vary by a couple of hundredths. May not sound like much but can mean a whole lot when comes to the sweet spot of a rifle in regard to seating depth. Just my two cents.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:37 PM

My smith loads mine for me using 180 grain ballistic tip.They do wonders to a bulls head{domestic}I get 1"-2" groups,I am not very good shot