Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope for my Model 721 Remington >

Scope for my Model 721 Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope for my Model 721 Remington

Old 07-30-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Scope for my Model 721 Remington

I got a Remington Model 721 after my grand father died. According to the three letter code on the rifle it was made December 1948. It has never had a scope mounted and it currently has iron sights with windage and distance adjustments on the sights. I was wondering if it was feasible to mount a scope on this rifle without any drilling and tapping of the rifle itself. If it is possible what mounts should I get? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a scope as I am not extraordinary wealthy.

In addition what is a rifle like this worth today?

Thanks,
inexperienced hunter
mjvincent
Old 07-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope for my Model 721 Remington

My Remington 721 is a .300 H&H and a superbly accurate rifle. Adding a scope is simple.....just add bases, rings and a scope.....it's already drilled and tapped for standard weaver bases and I suspect other bases will attach too.

Here's the rub.....the stock isn't suited for a scope.....the drop is far too much for good scope viewing. It's great for the iron sights provided but with a scope one wants to lift the head up to see thru the scope. I restocked mine and it's fine now but restocking can be expensive as well.

Possibly you could add some type of pad to the stock to assist in this problem.

I paid $260 for mine.....fyi
Old 07-30-2004, 07:15 PM

Simmons 3-9x50 8-Point Riflescope, Black Matte saw this on Walmart's sight... Anyone know about this scope? It's variable power (for what I need it for) and it has the 50 mm objective...
Old 07-31-2004, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

I beleive the tasco world class is a better deal but they are close. I would go with the 40mm so not make the scope any higher than needed. I also have a 721 deluxe in 300 H&H. it is in ex. shape has no scope and I have never shot it. So I have no idea on the stock..Bill
Old 07-31-2004, 11:16 AM

Went to walmart and looked at the aetec simmons and a Nikon and Leupold. I am thinking of just waiting and paying the extra for a Leupold or Nikon since they have better warranties right?

Secondly, I can see two mounting screws just forward of the bolt. I currently have a Redfield target sight in the back with windage and elevation adj. It is attached to the barrel on the side, just opposite of the bolt action handle (sorry if I am using the wrong terminology). Would this be where the scope would mount in the back? I had thought that the screws would be on the top? The rifle was made in 1948 if this helps...

Thanks, Mike
Old 07-31-2004, 04:13 PM

bump
Old 07-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mjvincent

I got a Remington Model 721 after my grand father died. According to the three letter code on the rifle it was made December 1948. It has never had a scope mounted and it currently has iron sights with windage and distance adjustments on the sights. I was wondering if it was feasible to mount a scope on this rifle without any drilling and tapping of the rifle itself. If it is possible what mounts should I get? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a scope as I am not extraordinary wealthy.

In addition what is a rifle like this worth today?

Thanks, inexperienced hunter mjvincent
All M721's are drilled & tapped. There are plug screws in the holes, which are located on the top center of the receiver ring, and in the receiver bridge. These rifles use the same scope mount bases as the Remington M700's. Go on E-Bay and buy an older scope to save money and still get something better than a Trashco - I recommend a Lyman All-American 4X Perma-Center. There are usually several on E-Bay, and although older, they are still excellent scopes.

Of course, if you opt for a new Leupold, that is the best choice.....

The part the receiver (rear) sight screws to is called the "receiver". It is a separate piece from the barrel, which is screwed into the front of the receiver, called the "receiver ring". The bolt slides back and forth inside the receiver. If you look UNDER the arm of the rear sight that the peep is mounted on, there shuld be a hole or two with plug screws in them, just like the ones on the receiver ring. You will have to remove the receiver sight standard (the slide part that moves up and down when you adjust it for elevation) in order to remove the plug screws to mount the scope base. I don't recall offhand if the 721 has one or two screw holes in the receiver bridge. it has two on the ring, though. If it only has one in the rear, you will have to use a one-piece mount base,like a Leupold or Redfield Junior base.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:09 AM

Ok, in the receiver bridge there are two holes that the redfield match site was mounted. It isnt on the top like the ones on the receiver ring, but on the other side of the slide... After removing the redfield match site I didn't find any holes on top either.

I just hadn't seen any scope mounts that mounted on the side. So the 700 series mounts should work?

Thanks you all for your patience.

Mike