Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New or used leopold? >

New or used leopold?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New or used leopold?

Old 07-25-2004, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New or used leopold?

I can get a brand new 3x9x50mm leopold scope for $479.00 or get a used one for $259.00 at a local pawn shop. Same scope. Since they do have a life time warrantee, do you think the cheaper one would be a better deal or it is better not to gamble on something this important. Thanks for any imput guys, Bobby
Old 07-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New or used leopold?

IMO I would go with the used scope , have you checked E-BAY for a used or on line for a new scope that price sounds a little high. If you go for the used scope at the pawn shop try to talk them down ,could save a few $$$.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go for the used one, Leopold has an excellent service department if there is something wrong with the used one and you can almost get you 2 used ones for the price of one new one, and that new one does sound kind of high.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:20 AM

I have had good luck with used Leupolds in the past. Check the condition of the turrets to see if they took a hit or not.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

bought my 3x9x40 used for 150.....this is the....3rd year i believe i had it....atleast 3rd....and it works great....crystal clear...no scratches...and holds its zero......works for me.....saved me alot of money i didnt have too
Old 07-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bobby, depends on the condition and model if your talking the Vari x II and VXII there is a difference in coatings which will result in clarity and image gains. The new VX II is the same coatings as the Vari x III models. You'll also get click adjustments on the new VX II.

Is it worth the difference well only you can decide that, but optically speaking condition being equal the new VX II is a better scope.

If your talking the Vari x III as the used model and it is in good condition jump all over the deal.

PS if your leaning toward the new option and that price range I may suggest you do some web searching, also check out the Zeiss Conquest line while doing so. I saw at www.theopticzone.com - various Conquest models in this price range, he also sells leupold, nikon, etc.

Best of luck!
Old 07-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me it would all depend on the condition of the scope. The scope would have to be in excellent condition. Yes Leupold has good customer service although I have never had to find it out for my self, but I personally don’t like to buy some one else’s headache. I would much prefer to buy brand new so I would be looking for the best deal possible, but that’s just my opinion. You’re the one making that call. Good luck....
Old 07-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good points guys, but both the scopes are idenical as they have a range finder on it that you dial it in as it gives you a close proxcimity (sp?) as to what the distance is. With a 50mm lense its dang clear. Wow talk about seeing the light. Skeeter I am not sure what type or model they are as I be heading down that area later in the week and I'll find out as well as that link you provided. Much appreciated. I think maybe making a good inspection on the used one then I'll make my decision. I still have enough time to be selective at this stage. Thanks, Bobby
Old 07-27-2004, 12:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

This may also help you make a decision.

This year the VX-III has the new index matched lenses for much brighter and clearer optics than last years models. They really are brighter, crisper, and clearer than last years VariX-III models.

This years VX-II is the same scope (glass, coatings) as previous years VariX-III so you will be getting better quality optics with this years VX-II as opposed to last years VariX-II.

Personally I hate to buy used hunting equipment of most any kind. You just never know.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:22 AM

i have never bought a used scope.however,as you mentioned,leupolds are guaranteed for life so with that said i would take a chance.i bought my first varixIII in 1990 and sent it back for inspection last month.they are fine people and i don't think they make better scopes for the money.

Quick Reply: New or used leopold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.