Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Burris FullField 2 >

Burris FullField 2

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Burris FullField 2

Old 07-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Burris FullField 2

Anybody got anything good or bad to say about the Burris FullField 2 line of scopes. I am leaning towards their 3 X 9 X 40 with the Ballistic plex. I can get one for about $180 and it includes a 20x - 50 fixed power spotting scope. With shipping and tax it should be under $200.0. Seems too good to be true so i thought I'd pick your brains.
Any comments re: these scopes?
Old 07-22-2004, 09:20 PM

Default RE: Burris FullField 2

I own two of them. I think the optical quality is as good or better than my Leupolds. I have both of them mounted on .223 rifles, so I cannot say how they will hold up under the recoil of a big game rifle. I have no reason to believe that they wouldn't give you a lifetime of service, or then some. I don't think that your going to find a better riflescope for the money these days.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks,
Thats the kind of info I'm looking for....info from those that have them...or once had them
I remember some previous posts that taked about the customer service angle not being so good but don't remember what the specific complaints about the sopes were.
Field & stream gave it a pretty good review...even claimed that the eye relief was greater than Burris stated...Burris claims 3.1 - 3.8 and field & stream found it to be ~4.25
Old 07-23-2004, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a 3-9x40 mounted on a 300 win mag with a muzzle brake..it lasted about 30 rounds and went south. Their customer service sucks. I have owned 6 Burris riflescopes 4 signatures and 2 ff II's . ONly 2 of that bunch did not go back for problems.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

oldelkhunter,
Sorry to hear that. And sorry to get poor reports about this scope. What went bad on it? And how long didi it take Burris to rectify the situation?
Was your 3 X 9 that went south a Fullfield or different Burris model?
Old 07-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

The scope that went south was a 3-9x40 FF II... It replaced a vari-x II 3-9 which was doing great btw. This was a customized 300 win mag with a gentry "Quiet Brake" this gun shot under an inch on a boring routine basis with pretty much any handload. It continued shooting under an inch with the Burris mounted on it until the gun started shooting 4-5" groups after 30 rounds. Thought it was the rifle so I had it checked out. No problems..put the Leupold 3-9 back on and it went back to it's normal self. Sent the scope back to Burris ..got it back 1 month later. took it out of the box and put it back on the 300...looked thru the scope and I thought I was seeing things...there was a water bubble in it...Called CS(what a joke) at Burris (they flooded the scope accidentally checking it for leaks and left it like that) they said to send it back. It went back ..got it back 3 weeks later and inside the ocular housing I could see some slotted screw heads...called their customer disservice again and they were shocked ..told me to send it back and they would reimburse me for shipping..It came back 3 weeks later finally fixed. I will not use it so I gave it to my Brother in Law in Oregon who is a one box of ammo a year hunter and he has had no problems with it mounted on an 06. I have had signatures that exhibited same behaviour as the FF II coincidentally with a 300 win mag and were sent back and returned. I have also had one that zoom tube stopped working a 3-9x40 Signature . That was fixed. I recently purchased a 3.5-10x50 FF II last January ..that was a nice scope although not very rugged compared to others I have had in the accidentally dropped category. This one fell about 2 feet into a bed of leaves and of course it knocked the W/E adjustments off other then that no problems it was mounted on a 7 WSM, wonder what it will do if mounted on a 300 win mag ? . I have owned /own Swarovski,Zeiss,S&B,Leupold, Nikon,burris and bushnell and Simmons and dropped or was rough on all of them and never had this happen? Incidentally I was never reimbursed for the shipping on the FF II that made three trips back to the Factory. I would say their company needs to get their act together and I will simply not buy another. I think I gave them plenty of chances to prove themselves. Way too many good choices out there that are lighter,shorter, more rugged(contrary to Burris advertising) have better optics and anyone can have better customer service then they provide. Maybe Beretta buying them will straighten them out.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

oldelkhunter,you have me really worried now.I just sent a 3x9x40 back yesterday and ordered another one on sale at Natches,4x14x42 Bplex.
Have 2 of the 3x9x40's one one my 260 and the one that stopped holding zero was on a muzzleloader.
I really like the B-plex and hope the other 2 work when I get them back.
Going to mout the 4x14x42 on a 270wsm,I'm hoping it holds up like the one on my 260.
The problem with the one I sent back was it would shoot a group one place and then the next group would be someplace else,without touching the scope.Took it off the muzzleloader and put it on a 7/08,it shot a 3-shot group about 1/2 in then the next 3 shots were a group about the same size BUT a foot to the right.Never seem this before,usually when a scope goes bad the shots are off all over the place, not the groups.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well.....
I guess I will have to consider the other 3 scopes that were on my list.......was going to go with the Burris b/c of the spotting scope perk....

I think (now that I'm hearing this issue about CS and quality) that i will go for a closeout on a VX-2 in 3X9X40 with the Post and Duplex for $245
...or...the VX1 in 3X9X40 with Duplex for $187
...or....Nikon Monarch 3X9X40 with Nikoplex for $236

Any recommendations re: these other 3?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep I missed out on the Spotting scope perk myself..Had I bought my Sako 3 weeks later I would have recieved a free one too. That is the only way I will take a Burris product.

Any recommendations re: these other 3?
What is it going on and what is the action length ? Look at Sightron SII scopes also and you can probably get one cheap off Ebay for the price your looking at. All 3 are good scopes, Nikon is the best of the bunch optically but the new VX-II has VAri-xIII lenses in it and you can get them at www.dnrsports.com at a good price also...all 3 have short mounting tube lengths and if your using a long action you'll have to make adjustments to mounts... Forget the VX-1 unless money is an issue
Old 07-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Herman, I think its a 50/50 split with Burris as far as feedback goes. Some people simply love them and some hate them. I think I gave them a fair shake over the years but like i said too many good scopes out there that are lower priced and have better optics.

Quick Reply: Burris FullField 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.