Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bolt Won't Close >

Bolt Won't Close

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bolt Won't Close

Old 07-16-2004, 05:45 PM

Default Bolt Won't Close

Hi, i have a browning a-bolt in 7mm rem mag. Today i was dry firing on some snap caps and after maybe the 5th shot i threw the bolt back to eject it and to chamber the next snap cap but the bolt would only go in about half way. It looks like the black shroud at the back of the bolt is hitting the reciever right in front of the safty. Does anyone know how i can get the bolt to go back in?? The only thing that i see odd is that the cocking indicator says that the bolt isn't cocked. Please help!!
Thanks,
Nick Radovich
Old 07-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bolt Won't Close

It sounds like you just need to recock the bolt. Place the bolt in a PADDED vice or with some PADDED vice grips and cock the bolt with the handle just like you would if it were in your rifle.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shouldn't you have said PADDED, Bigbulls? LOL

BB...You are 100% right on that padded part. When I was younger, I had to work on my Rem 600 bolt. Everytime I close that dang bolt to this day I see my scratches...
Old 07-16-2004, 06:38 PM

I tried doing that just now and nothing happened. i don't think i quite understand what to do. Which part of the bolt do i clamp and what should be happening. Thanks for the quick reply and that is probably what it is but i can't get the darn thing cocked.
Thanks,
Nick Radovich
Old 07-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

The part that needs to go in the vice is the shroud around the cocking piece. Make sure that you do not clamp onto the cocking piece itself. If you do it will not move.

Part #14 here. Again Make sureto use Padded jaws.