Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 223 for deer? >

223 for deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

223 for deer?

Old 09-07-2004, 07:57 AM

Default RE: 223 for deer?

I'm thinking a 458 Lott would be kind of nice.
I am sure it would be up to the task.

EKM
Old 09-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

EKM I was thinking pressure treated furring strip about 6 feet long with a 12 penny nail in the head would be overkill for your average WD
Old 09-07-2004, 09:18 PM

Check last post at bottom of page 9 for context regarding 458's.

EKM
Old 09-10-2004, 05:26 AM

I would have to agree with BIG COUNRY a well placed round from a .223 with the right bullet will do the job, although I would not want to go pas 150 yards. I spent 6 years in the Canadian Infantry and the C7 which is the personal weapon for the Canadian Military is a 5.56mm or .223 and that is one fast deadly round...
Old 09-10-2004, 05:50 AM

Is this still here? Oh man, I can just imagine what it'll look like when I get back. Remember, giant, prehistoric sized squirrels are now running rampant. That whole .458 thing might not do it. Bring a .577 T-rex and call it good. If that isn't enough, a good old 4-bore ought to do it!
Old 09-10-2004, 03:56 PM

I want to ask why you would use a .223 for deer. WHY.. seriously is there any point. Go buy a .243 or higher and use that. Its has ZERO point
Old 09-10-2004, 10:11 PM

fireblade,

I'm sure there are a multitude of "whys"....

** In many cases I'm betting it is the only centerfire rifle in the closet....
** In other cases, in some parts of the country, white tails are the size of large dogs so it takes "less stick" to whack'em
** In some cases people just like a challenge (and hopefully have the skill to play).

In many parts of the country, deer are little more than vermin. They have endured mankind for centuries and appear to be thriving, so "why not?" gotta thin them out some how. More than I ever realized, it appears that deer hunting (especially white tails) is largely an "anything goes" sport.

All you can do is stand back, watch it go by, and nod your head at some of the methods and shake your head at others. Don't get too "wrapped up" about it, or think you are going to change anything, it won't do any good.

And so it goes,

EKM
Old 09-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

I would not hessitate to shoot anything up to a muledeer with my 22-250, but that's because I know my rifle and I know what it can and can't do. However, I have never shot a deer in the chest with my 22-250. I only take the shot while the animal's head is up and I have a good square shot on the neck. Not quartering to or away. Only if the animal is broad side or, best case scenario, the animal if facing directly towards me. It doesn't matter what you are shooting if you break the neck the animal will not live. Period.

You guys can stand behind your opinion about the 22 calibers being "too small" for deer and continue to blast them with large bore rifles. That's fine with me.

Your arguments do not change the fact that just as many deer, if not more, are wounded and not recovered with large bore rifles because people tend to "see fur and pull the trigger".

Should everybody should shoot a 22 caliber rifle at deer? Without a doubt, no! That statement is as irresponsible as saying that every hunter shooting deer with a 22 caliber rifle is unethical.

Bottom line is that it has more to do with the shooter than the rifle. You can own the fastest race car in the world, but if you don't know how to drive it then you aren't going to win many races.

I personally like the low recoil of the small caliber rifles, and I like the fact that if I want to shoot 100 rounds in one day out of my 22-250, my shoulder can take it. If I am shooting my .270 I shoot is as little as I need to because of the recoil.

And that's my personal choice. And I stand behind that choice 100%.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I repeat my earlier post and answer why would anyone use a 223 for deer. Well it may be the only rifle they have. They might be hunting varmits or out checking cattle when they see a deer they want. These guys know how far they can shoot and what to expect form thier gun and ammo. It is legal in many states and a good hit will kill the biggest Mule deer out there. I would not prefer to use a 223 but it every bit as good for me as a 243. Therefore I will stick to my 25 caliber minimum for mule deer which is what we have where I hunt. Big Mule deer at that. My wife shoots a 250-3000. Thats about as small as I would use PERSONALLY. For those who want to use a 223 or 22-250 and its legal in thier state and they can make clean kills then go for it. I know two guys very well one a rancher on whos land I hunt and the other my wifes brother. Both use a 22-250 every year for deer. Most always a one shot kill. If you are used to hitting prarie dogs in the chest then its no trick to hit a deer in the head and certainly the neck or heart.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:40 AM
bigcountry

James B, I know as far as I am concerned, it was availability for the 223. For avid 223 hunters I know, I feel its alot about a challenge, bragging rights, proving to others that they need to take thier time on shots and get the right shot, a multitude of reasons. Good and bad. But these guys are dad gone good. For me, I love my Quartering to me shoulder thru the heart shot with a 308 or 270 below 100 yards. Devastating. I have more choices now.

Quick Reply: 223 for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.