HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 223 for deer?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 10:59 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 223 for deer?

I repeat my earlier post and answer why would anyone use a 223 for deer. Well it may be the only rifle they have. They might be hunting varmits or out checking cattle when they see a deer they want. These guys know how far they can shoot and what to expect form thier gun and ammo. It is legal in many states and a good hit will kill the biggest Mule deer out there. I would not prefer to use a 223 but it every bit as good for me as a 243. Therefore I will stick to my 25 caliber minimum for mule deer which is what we have where I hunt. Big Mule deer at that. My wife shoots a 250-3000. Thats about as small as I would use PERSONALLY. For those who want to use a 223 or 22-250 and its legal in thier state and they can make clean kills then go for it. I know two guys very well one a rancher on whos land I hunt and the other my wifes brother. Both use a 22-250 every year for deer. Most always a one shot kill. If you are used to hitting prarie dogs in the chest then its no trick to hit a deer in the head and certainly the neck or heart.