Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New caliber from remington >

New caliber from remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New caliber from remington

Old 07-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New caliber from remington

I just got my new guns and ammo and remington is trying to make a new round for the military. It is a .30 remington taking a .277 bullet. They are calling it a 6.8 SPC.It was designed to be fired from an AR-15 rifle.2650 fps from a 16 ni. barrel and 2800 from a 24 in barrel.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New caliber from remington

It is suppose to replace the .223 as the standard military round sometime in the near future.

About time they went back to a real round for shooting people.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

It is suppose to replace the .223 as the standard military round sometime in the near future.

About time they went back to a real round for shooting people.
They had a very good round for that purpose once(.308), the rifle it was chambered in just needed some tweaking.(m14)
Old 07-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I know. They also had the 30-06 too. That's why I said "back to a real round".

I never have understood the thinking of using the .223 for military applications. I know why they said they went to it. Wounding a person removes two people from the line and a person can carry more ammo. But I still never got it. They still can shoot a gun if they're wounded. I would rather have them dead if they were shooting at me. I never got that whole FMJ crap either.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never got that whole FMJ crap either
I think that using anything other than FMJ ammo is a violation of Art. 23e of the Annex to Hague Convention IV Respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land of 18 October 1907. The USA is not actually bound by this document but has always as a matter of principle adhered to it. It was an attempt by countries to stop the use of soft rapidly expanding bullets that caused huge numbers of limb amputations in prior wars.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't about the rest of you ,But I have seen what a 5.56 will do. It ain't nice.Yeah the .308 is a better round but don't knock that little bee that is stinging your a$$.Had you rather have 100 rounds of .308 and a 12 lb. rifle or 500 rounds of 5.56 and a 4 lb. rifle.( weights are just approximate so don't get nit -picky)
Old 07-08-2004, 06:14 AM

I was thinking about a single shot chambering using a 30-30 case and a .277 bullet (270/30-30) when I saw the new Rem. 6.8 round.
I'm still thinking about a 270/30-30 for a singleshot.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Well hopefully they will get around to adopting a better rifle and round. The M-16 was and still is the biggest P.O.S. and round adopted by the U.S. Military. From the early versions of the Mattel Jam O Matic that couldn't keep bullets in a 8" circle at 100yards to the brilliant carbine version issued to the poor service guys in Samollia and the poor performance of the 223 out of a short barrel carbine ( a marginal round to begin without going to a short barrel)
Say what you want , but we need a good battlefield weapon and that includes handguns. Beretta is a fine firearm but falls short in the field, let's bring back the 45 acp in a 1911 style. Let's face it they've improved on the original. Let our supposed "friends" in NATO and U.N. adopt our ordinance not the other way around.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually there is nothing in the works to change from the 5.56mm as the standard issue cartridge. The 6.8 was developed for use by the special forces for use in urban warfare situations. Unfortunately the 5.56 will be around for awhile longer and so will the overrated M-16.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldnt this be a great round for the contender with a 14 in. barrel . They say this round was developed by the men on the frontline. The bullet for it is a 115 gr. and was designed to expand at low velocities with managed recoil. What a great pistol round.

Quick Reply: New caliber from remington

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.