Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New caliber from remington >

New caliber from remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New caliber from remington

Old 07-10-2004, 10:16 PM
BT
Typical Buck

Default RE: New caliber from remington

Briman the 45 is better than a 9mm.

I have been shot with a 9mm it went through my chest from the side and in to my upper left arm.

I was still on my feet and in the fight.
The 9mm does not inpress me in the least as a fight stoper.

BTW the 45 colt in a SAA is about equal to a 45acp not way above it in power.

The 5.56 is and avance in arms to some people in some other peoples eyes it was a mistake.

I persionaly belieave the 5.56 with the right loads are cappable arms.

but i will tell you this if i was in a room with some one that was trying to kill me and had only one round of ammo with the choices being the trap door or the m-16 i would take the trap door. Any day

There are a lot of factors on how fmj bullest stop people.
the twist in the riffling and the yaw disined in to the projectile or the lack of yaw in it all has to do with how good of a stoper it is.

Some of the so called experts have said that the new m-16 and the heaver bullets its disined to take over stablise the bullet.
So there is less yaw "tumbling" in pass through.
a pinciel strate hole made by the 5.56 would not be as effective a stoper as a5.56 that yaws and come out sideways.

Any way there is more to the stoping than the cal. the bulliet and shot placement has alot to do with it.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:00 AM

I was hit in the head from a slide that had broken off the frame from the recoil. Many of the M9's that were initially bought from Beretta had cracks in the frames that allowed things like that to happen. I was lucky - one Soldier died when his M9 self-destructed and took him with it.

As far as the arm-chair warrior cheap shot: I have been in the army for 19 years. I am an 11B4V5W. I'm stationed at Ft Bragg. Have deployed to Just Cause, Desert Shield/Storm, OEF and OIF. When's the last time YOU returned fire for God and Country?

No BS on the .40 S&W. Most carry .45, but some were carrying the .40 in Iraq the last time I was there in 2003.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:14 AM

(Wouldnt this be a great round for the contender with a 14 in. barrel .)

Yep, I think so. Rimless cases will work in the Contender/Encore EI; 35 rem. 223, I think tho that the rimmed case makes for better extraction in the Contender hence my original thoughts on a 270/30-30
Old 07-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was hit in the head from a slide that had broken off the frame from the recoil. Many of the M9's that were initially bought from Beretta had cracks in the frames that allowed things like that to happen. I was lucky - one Soldier died when his M9 self-destructed and took him with it.
Once again BS.

The M9's didn't have cracks in them and the slides only broke when used with ammunition that was out of spec and of way too high pressure. If you put 50,000 psi ammo through a 1911 rest assured, bad things will happen as well. There were only a few documented cases of slides breaking on M9s and most of them during tests. The whole m9-slide-breaking-and-hitting-me-in-the-face scenario should be listed on Snopes under urban myths and legends.

BTW I shoot a beretta 92FS competitively. I have had it explode on me from a double charge of powder, I was completely unscathed by the accident, and my pistol survived as well- just had to remove the right grip panel, reinstall the trigger bar, then screw the grip panel back on. I've seen double charges completely destroy 1911s.

http://www.logicsouth.com/~lcoble/lfnv/92fpistl.txt
Old 07-11-2004, 11:38 AM

You can call BS all day. I can only tell you what happened to me. As for the Soldier that died, I'm sure that report made his family feel much better.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya abnhunter,I was a 11 bush baby myself. was with the 173rd abn brgde ,75th inf. ,75th rngr bat.When I had to stay at Bragg I lived in Spring lake (back in '72.) Use to stay at the drag strip all I could then.BTW Ain't no 11 bang bang ever been no arm chair warrior.They don't just give away that blue braid or that little chunk of silver either!! FOLLOW ME!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

It is suppose to replace the .223 as the standard military round sometime in the near future.

About time they went back to a real round for shooting people.
The 6.8 is NOT intended to replace the 5.56mm NATO as our standard infantry round. (Even if it SHOULD!!) It is intended, at least at this time, as a special purpose round to be issued to special operations forces, not every GI who needs a rifle. Indeed, there are a lot of influential military folks who have yet to be convinced of the need for this round, which is going to at least cause a little more confusion for the logisticians (many of whom are plenty confused enough already!!)
Old 07-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ktscontender

I was thinking about a single shot chambering using a 30-30 case and a .277 bullet (270/30-30) when I saw the new Rem. 6.8 round. I'm still thinking about a 270/30-30 for a singleshot.
Well, what you're talking about already exists, plus .006" in diameter, anyway! It's called the 7-30 Waters!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let our supposed "friends" in NATO and U.N. adopt our ordinance not the other way around.
We have forced NATO to adopt our rifle cartridges twice. First the .308 (7.62X51 NATO) and then the .223 (5.56mm NATO). At the time we adopted the 9mm, it was to keep the NATO folks from bitching too much about the change from 7.62 to 5.56mm, after most of them had just got finished buying the 7.62 rifles! At the time, we had a lot of geniuses in charge who thought of the service pistol as a "badge of office" rather than a useful battlefield weapon. Well, Iraq and Afghanistan have changed this line of thinking, and a lot of special ops people (and others) have gone back to the .45 ACP, which we should never have abandoned in the first place.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

If most operators carried a tomahawk axe, should they be issued to every other military personel?
did't the Brits have an issue tomahawk duing WWII? I'm sure some allied country did.

Quick Reply: New caliber from remington

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.