Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Opinion Wanted , Which pistol? >

Opinion Wanted , Which pistol?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinion Wanted , Which pistol?

Old 07-06-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Opinion Wanted , Which pistol?

I am going to buy a new pistol that is smaller than my .40 cal S&W Sigma 15+1 to carry and I am looking at the Taurus Millenium PT140 $379 or the Glock 27 $490 Which one would you buy? Is the Glock worth the Difference?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 AM

Default RE: Opinion Wanted , Which pistol?

Hi spl1,

I haven't heard too many bad things about the Taurus Millenium series but I have heard more than a few bad things about Taurus's customer service should you ever need it. Most of these comments have been second hand so you'd have to take them for what they're worth.

On the other hand I haven't heard any thing bad about Glock's customer service. But there have been a few stories about Glock 40's and kabooms. Most of these have been attributed to ammunition. And again you have to take the stories for what they're worth.

I personally have neither of the guns you have queried about, but I do happen to have both Taurus products and Glock products. I have had no problems out of either. (Though I had to call Taurus in reference to replacing missing grip screws. ) Taurus parts are only available through Taurus. None of the local gunsmiths carry parts, Taurus deals direct with the customer. Sometimes requiring return of the firearms for service work. Maybe an important consideration for you.

As long as you are considering a smaller .40 have you given a look at Springfield Armory's SD-40 in the sub-compact model? You might want to also consider it. It is available for a little more than the Taurus Millenium model but less than the Glock. Personally I think it is a lot nicer handgun than the Taurus and equal to the Glock. SA is well known for great customer service as well and the XD series have a lifetime warranty.

In addition to having Taurus and Glock products I also own several SA XD's (one is a sub-compact) and they are fine pistols.

Just a thought!

Dave
Old 07-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the PT 140. Its a nice carry gun. THe millenium pro is a little sleeker than the regular millenium(less things to catch on). My taurus eats pretty much anything you throw at it. The gun is a little weighty, but that makes it quite shootable. I wouldn't hesitate to look at the springfield XD's as well. See which gun points better and feels good in your hand.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned, carried and shot both the Taurus PT111 9mm and the Glock 26 9mm. The Taurus just doesn't compare to the Glock. The trigger is far superior on the Glock as well as the handling, accuracy and quality. Go with the Glock or wish you had.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:56 AM
bigcountry

I love my glock 27. As far as them going kaboom, they have a different type of rifling than most others. And can build pressure with cast bullets.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:35 AM

Well I just bought a Glock 27 last week, so guess what my answer is

I looked at the Taurus but decided against it. Talked to several friends who had owned the Taurus and also asked on Glock Talk. One thing in common. About 500 rounds into the gun and they had frame problems, including the frame cracking.

As for the Glock and KB's. Use good ammo, watch for bullet setback and you will have no problems. It's a great gun, very reliable and easy to conceal.

I agree that you should also look at the XD compact .40S&W and I'll also add the new CZ Rammni compact in .40S&W. Try them on and see which one feels good to you and try to rent them and give them a try on the range.

Good Luck!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as them going kaboom, they have a different type of rifling than most others. And can build pressure with cast bullets.
Yes that what i heard too( wasnt sure where i read or heard it tho) the hexegon/? octogon rifling& lead bullets being the problem yep.

I/ we only own tarus revolvers & 1 glock mod 17 it does seem to stovepipe jam on my mate a bit. But not me& never had a problem with either brand.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:42 PM

Go splurge and get a HK uspc. If you get it in the 40 all you'll need to do is get the barrel kits for the 9 and the 357 sig and you'll have three guns in one.
Polack
Old 07-08-2004, 06:56 PM

I agree with akbound on the Springfield XD series. I picked up the XD-40 in 4" last week ($419 out the door) and am very impressed with it's accuracy and reliabilty. Took it out today and ran another hundred rounds thru it, grinning the whole time. I've also read that you can use .40 S&W mags in the 9mm model and get in 14 rounds and work fine, if one is inclined to do so.

Old 07-09-2004, 01:30 AM

ORIGINAL: polack

Go splurge and get a HK uspc. If you get it in the 40 all you'll need to do is get the barrel kits for the 9 and the 357 sig and you'll have three guns in one.
Polack
Yeap, H&K's never Kaboom

Quick Reply: Opinion Wanted , Which pistol?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.