Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.338-06 ?

Old 06-29-2004, 11:16 PM

Default .338-06 ?

I was thinking of having my .270 rebarreled to .338-06. I am looking for info on anyone who has used this cartridge. What bullet weight they liked, powder, performance on game, accuracy, etc. This would by my medium bore rifle. Not counting my .358 win BLR.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-30-2004, 07:45 PM

Default RE: .338-06 ?

Neweboarhunter, I have no personal experience with that cartridge, but I saw this on NitroExpress.Com, and thought you might like to read it:

"The .338-06 is simply the .30-06 case necked up. It's close to the power of a .338 Win Mag without the recoil of the magnum. Mine is a Pre-'64 Win M70 that was an '06 and it was simply rebored to .338 caliber. It's been custom stocked in French Walnut with an ebony forend tip and fleur-de-lis checkering. It shoots minute of angle with 210 Nosler Partitions at a chronographed 2810 fps. It's very effective on elk and moose with one shot kills the norm. It's my elk rifle and moose rifle when I draw a tag. Very efficient and practical."

Although, I have to say, the idea of destroying a perfectly good .270 makes me kind of squeamish.. That .270 is just such an awesome cartridge. For the money you would spend, you could maybe just about keep the .270, and pick up a decent used action somewhere, and put your barrel on that. Then you would end up with 2 fine rifles for more or less the same ammount of money spent.

Vinny
Old 06-30-2004, 09:35 PM
DM

At one time i figured the worlds best caliber/cartridge would be the .338/06. I had the first one built to see if i would like it useing a Ruger 77 action and bbl., and that gun took a few moose and one brown bear. It origionally was a 30-06, and i had the bbl. rebored to .338, with no other change.

A couple years later, i built a second one useing a left hand 700 Rem action, Douglas premium bbl., and stocked it in a really nice piece of french walnut. I still have it to this day, even though it no longer gets much use.

The first (3) years i hunted with the second rifle, i shot (13) big game animials with it, includeing Sitka blk. tail deer, brown bear, caribou, and moose ect.. (includeing the moose in the picture)

The ones i've worked with seemed the most effieient with 250 grain bullets, not 200's or 210's.

Great rifle, great cal., that worked well when i was useing it!!

Drilling Man

Old 06-30-2004, 11:48 PM

Thanks for all the info!!

DM-- The cartridge seems to have a lot going for it near .338 win mag potential, not a lot of recoil for the energy. I could have this rifle finished at a good 1-1 1/2 lb lighter than a .338 win mag. My plan is to have the twist rate for 210-220 grain bullets.

It seems you have had a lot of success in hunting Alaska!!! Simply awesome!!!

Isn't that the moose that the grand slam failed on?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:37 AM
DM

Yes, it's the same moose the Gran Slam failed on. He did taste the same though :&gt

We packed him out to a river and flew him out with a 180 on floats. I first saw him about (2) weeks eariler, and was after that specific moose. It was no fun packing him a mile in knee deep water and mud though!!!!

When i came back for my second load of meat, i had to run a bear off him! I tried to shoot the bear too, but he droped the quarter he was carrying and run before i could get the shot i wanted in the tall swamp grass we was in.

It's been a long time since i built that rifle, but i do remember that my feelings were, you don't "near" .338 mag. performance with the 06 case. AND, it gets it's best velocity "for the power burned" with 250 grain bullets.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's the way it was with both of my rifles, and one was on the imp. case.

I also took this caribou with the same rifle, useing 250 grain Sierra BT's at fairly long range.

Drilling Man