HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .338-06 ?
Thread: .338-06 ?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Cousinvinny

Default RE: .338-06 ?

Neweboarhunter, I have no personal experience with that cartridge, but I saw this on NitroExpress.Com, and thought you might like to read it:

"The .338-06 is simply the .30-06 case necked up. It's close to the power of a .338 Win Mag without the recoil of the magnum. Mine is a Pre-'64 Win M70 that was an '06 and it was simply rebored to .338 caliber. It's been custom stocked in French Walnut with an ebony forend tip and fleur-de-lis checkering. It shoots minute of angle with 210 Nosler Partitions at a chronographed 2810 fps. It's very effective on elk and moose with one shot kills the norm. It's my elk rifle and moose rifle when I draw a tag. Very efficient and practical."

Although, I have to say, the idea of destroying a perfectly good .270 makes me kind of squeamish.. That .270 is just such an awesome cartridge. For the money you would spend, you could maybe just about keep the .270, and pick up a decent used action somewhere, and put your barrel on that. Then you would end up with 2 fine rifles for more or less the same ammount of money spent.

Vinny