Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ** What is your Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? "" >

** What is your Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? ""

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

** What is your Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? ""

Old 07-07-2004, 08:54 PM
DM

Default RE: Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? ""

Over the years i've carried a lot of different handguns, includeing and all kinds of auto's and revolvers. BUT, if someone told me to go out and buy the one i like best "today", i'd buy a 4" S&W model 19 357 mag. and load it with 150 grain Sierra HP's. I've always loved this gun, and i've shot thousands of rounds with the above load.

I've shot a LOT of small game with that gun and load for the freezer too!!

At one time i was dieing to have a 44spl.. I finally had "Spokehandguns" build me one on a S&W "K" frame, makeing up and fitting a (5) shot cylinder for it. I still have it, and all these years later, it still shoots so sweet!!! And, with decent hand loads it has pretty good stopping power too. It's actually built out of a M19 that i shot thousands and thousands of rounds through, to the point where it was shot out!! I could have fixed it back up, but it was a dream come true when i had the chance to get it converted to 44 spl..

I still like the M19, 357 mag., and that's the combo i carried the most over the years.

Drilling Man

Old 07-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

If you are going to carry with a CCW you had better dang well know what your mindset is, and how accurate you are! No offence to anyone meant. And.......when it is just me and my son I cannot rely on a gun that may/may not jam if needed. May sound crazy but thats my frame of mind.
AMEN!!! I'm bothered by the current semi-auto craze a bit myself, for most people a good double action revolver is far and away the best choice...the only reason I carry a semi is as I've mentioned I've had a lot of training in armed self defense with that gun. Frankly until clearing a jam becomes second nature, and can be performed reliably, and properly, under stress, I don't think a semi should be considered for CCW duty. And I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here because I know they all spend a good bit of time with their guns, I'm talking about the ones who want to just load and carry it.

Gordon
Old 07-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Gordon,

I have a 9mm, and can handle it well, and quickly if it jams( not often but it has) and that my friend is NOTHING to rely on when it comes to your child's or your safety....it just does not suit my purpose if I ever have the need. My feeling is that if the need ever.... God forbid happens, it will be immediate and I will react on instinct of years of assessment of an individual situation, mindset and shooting ability. I could do that with the 9, just choose to carry a revolver. Much more security in the field (gotta have a speedloader just in case). IMHO
Old 07-08-2004, 01:23 AM

Default RE: ** What is your Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? ""

I just purchased a Springfield Armory XD-40 Service model in (.40 S&W) to use as my primary carry weapon if it passes my stress tests. I also have a stainless S&W 645 .45 acp that will likely be my truck gun. Just ordered a Don Hume leather IWB holster for the XD. I've taken the XD-40 out once so far and ran 125 rounds through it without a hitch. Still need to run a few hundred more before I make my official carry weapon. Forgive the pic quality. I had to compress the image quite a bit to make it small enough to upload.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:27 AM

Default RE: ** What is your Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? ""

Sig 226 .40 S&W 10 rds of Fed Hydr shks