Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ** What is your Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? "" >

** What is your Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? ""

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

** What is your Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? ""

Old 06-28-2004, 01:08 PM

Default RE: ** What is your Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? ""

A Glock 19 and I just got off an estate auction a HK-4 in 380, one sweet little gun.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glock29rd,
So Far the 4" Service XD .40 has treated me very well! I only have about 300rds of WWB FMJ thru it so far without more than one hiccup I think? In the first 50 rounds I had 1 FTF but from then on it's just gobbled up everything without a hitch. Still breaking it in but boy is it fun to shoot.
I can't imagine an easier auto to clean as well.......super simple breakdown and nothing hard to get the crud out of.
The "Grip it and Rip it" safety system as well as the cocking and loaded chamber indicators make this a very safe and practical defensive weapon. You can tell if it's cocked and loaded in pitch darkness just by a quick feel.

Right now I'm running 180gr JHP WWB thru it for maybe another 200rds then I'll move to the primary defense rounds and see which it likes and run a couple hundred thru it to be sure.......for now it sits with the plain old WWB 180 JHP in it (At least I know they will feed smoothly) until I move onto something more specialized for defensive purposes.

I have a new "Don's Guide Rod" and a 22# Wolff spring ordered for it to reduce the muzzle flip a bit more (not bad to begin with) and further enhance feeding.
It does get back on target quickly now and Double Taps are very accurate.
I haven't really shot for group accuracy yet as I am just breaking the gun in but it seems pretty good. AT 15 and 20 yards offhand I can keep them all inside the "Black" on a 25 yard Slow Fire target face which is about the size of a person's head. (Except for the occasional WWB "flyer")

A ton of fun to shoot! So far I'd recommend it highly.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

My carry gun is a Kel-tec P-11 9 mm with Rem. goldensaber 124 gr +p and a pocket clip .
Old 06-28-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? ""

i looked and found some xd's at a phoenix arizona gunshop for 389.00 brand new with a choice of 9mm,40sw, and 357 sig..
What a deal !!! I am a DEVOUT 40 cal fan.....but i want to experience a .357 sig just for sh!ts and giggles..lol.

I appreciate the info.... Not to make anyone jealous... i met ROB LEATHAM at sportsmans warehouse this winter and since i got there early i was able to experience a ONE on ONE (gunsmithing course) on the xd and got to dry fire his guns..i got pics and an autograph
on a 2004 springfield armory catalog..

HE IS A TRUE PROFESSIONAL AND THE NICEST ARIZONIAN>>> i am gonna have to get a sunday off and watch him shoot IDPA at
rio solado
Old 06-29-2004, 12:31 AM

Default RE: Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? ""

My duty weapon is a Glock 22 .40S&W.

My off duty weapon is a XD9 4", but is soon to be joined by a Glock 27 .40S&W Come on Birthday!!!
Old 06-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Sig-Sauer P226 in 9mm with Trijicon sights.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:32 PM

Sig P220ST.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:20 PM

Well.........you can add another possible to the list I posted! I just found a Springfield XD SubCompact in 9x19. It's very lightly used, (the finish is barely worn on the top of the barrel at the breech). And even though I'd prefer a .40 S&W better than another subcompact 9x19, (I already have a G-26 that the wife likes well), when I saw a nearly like new SA XD, in the box, with both magazines and all the paperwork for.........$275.00, I couldn't help myself!

Now all I need is to get it to the range , check out functional reliability and find an ammo it likes! And of course another holster.

Dave
Old 06-29-2004, 05:05 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Colt gold cup .45 acp loaded with Black Talon's.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

AK.....I can see where this gun causes an addicition and that's a SUPER price![:-] I would have snatched it myself in a heartbeat.
Check XDGear.com , they have magazine extensions for the subs that make that little grip much more comfy for a bigger hand. They look factory too.
I tried a regular 9mm Sub XD and I felt like I was falling off the bottom of it.
If I picked one up I'd have to get extensions.
Oh and you'll have to get an XML Tac light for it too.....

(By the way , had to stop at Wally World today and snag 3 more value packs of the WWB.....too much fun I tell ya.)
I should have my new Guide Rod and 22# Wolff spring tomorrow so it'll be off to the range to see how it likes the new stuff.

Quick Reply: ** What is your Carry/ Defense handgun of choice? ""

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.