Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 mosin nagant >

mosin nagant

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mosin nagant

Old 05-31-2004, 07:34 AM

Default mosin nagant

Would a mosin nagant be a ok deer gun?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:05 AM

Default RE: mosin nagant

YES

Extremely rugged rifle, virtually impossible to do anything to it that will kill it.

What type do you have? A russian (Tula arsenal) long infantry rifle? A Finnish rebuild (heavy barrel short rifle, marked either Suomi or Lathi - most accurate!) or a Remington WWI production?

Russian carbines are ok, but not realy accurate and they kick like nothing else when fired with full mil-spec load.

.30 Russian (Rifle, not the 7.62 x 39) is a very powerful cartridge, comparable to the .30-06 springfield and 7.92 x 57 IS.

Complex bolt though, you might want a manual or scematic drawing before taking it apart. If the sights are in paces (Russian paces) mail me, I have a conversiontable to metric and imperial somewhere.

Kind regards,

Vesi
Old 05-31-2004, 10:12 AM

Well, I don't have one..... yet I realy want to get one what one should I get in your opinion?
Old 05-31-2004, 11:05 AM

Easiest to carry are the Russian carbines, either a M1938 or a M1944. The Finnish M-39 is the most accurate MN varient, IME, but is a full size battle rifle. If you are going to buy a MN to cut up, buy one of the carbines, they are very cheap and very plentiful. Please DO NOT CUT UP or otherwise BUBBAIZE a pristene M39. Hunt with them as issued for a challenge.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:11 PM

They were designed to kill people and people are roughly the size of a deer. Of course it would kill deer. It's about a .308. I've hunted with my WWII manufacture M44 (though I never got to shoot at anything. A few warnings...
1) The safety is a bear (no pun intended). I found the safety so difficult to operate that I worried about spooking the deer when I pulled it off. I wonder how many charging Russians were shot in the back because thier comrade was just too weak/tired/indifferent to turn on the safety.
2) Alot of surplus ammo is available that is not only corrosive, it is silver tip PAINTED, not a hunting round. Make sure you get expandable rounds.
3) The point of balance for shooting with the M44 assumes the bayonet is locked open. This is really handy if the deer is real close 'cause you can just lunge forward and stab them. The big hazzard aside from tripping and impaling yourself or another, is the ribbing you'll take from other hunters in camp.

Paul
Old 05-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

It certainly would! And then some!!
Old 05-31-2004, 05:54 PM

What you get is up to you realy, but I would say it could be an argument in regard to location/vegetation where you want to hunt. If accuracy is your goal, (AND THIS IS NOT DUE TO ANY NATIONAL PREFERENCES!!!!) go for the Finnish rifle, I don't know whether or not short rifles where exported to the US, perhaps even some carbines, but a infantry rifle will serve you just fine. I personally don't care about the Russian rifles and carbines, I wouldn't spend money on one. The Remingtons are real sweet rifles though, A note on cutting up a Finnish MN...most people I know don't do it, and "sporterizing" doesn't bring better accuracy or handiness, just different looks. Remember, this rifle was used under the most difficult conditions, in one of the fiercest stands in history (the 1939-1940 winter war) a war the Finns nor the Russians will ever forget. It has some history to it, the rifle will serve you well as it is.

Best regards,

Vesi
Old 05-31-2004, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

The Finnish M-N's have better triggers.
Although the Russians can be slicked up a little you'll not have has good of trigger as a Finnish.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Finns are the only people who built them right. Most Russian and combloc MNs have a very wide array of bore measurements and can't be counted on to be very accurate- especially in the carbines. The bores should have a measurement of nominally .310- one of the M44s I have slugws out at .314" and is a grossly inaccurate rifle.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:12 PM

I have on that I put a aftermarket stock on. It is easily MOD (Minute of Deer). Accurate to one hole at 100 yards, NOT. Remember, the sites are graded up to 1000 yards for shooting PEOPLE. With practice, you should be good out to 150 yards. Like said above some are not accurate at all and you may get a lemon. But they are fun to shoot and I plan to use it for drives in the heavy brush but not as a bean field rifle.

Quick Reply: mosin nagant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.