Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Info on the Ruger #1 >

Info on the Ruger #1

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Info on the Ruger #1

Old 05-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Info on the Ruger #1

I’m considering getting a Ruger #1-V and was wondering if any one would have any information for me on this rifle. Rugers wed site mentions that this rifle is drilled and tapped to accept target blocks. What does that really mean? Do I have to buy a set of target blocks or does it come with the rifle. They also mention that the rifle comes with medium 1” scope rings. What would be the largest objective lens I could install with these rings. I’ve had my eye on this rifle for quite a while and when I went to Cabela’s and saw my first Ruger #1 I knew that would be my next rifle....Thanks for any information.....
Old 05-24-2004, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Info on the Ruger #1

Unless something has changed, you get everything you need to mount a scope with the rifle...the mounts might have been a special thing that the shop I bought it from included, they're a good set of people and occasionally do things like that from time to time, i.e. since the rifle comes with rings and ready for a mount, throwing in a mount to help sell the rifle is productive....or they'll put together their own sale packages similar to Savage packages, throw a decent scope mounted on a rifle at a great price to help sales, does us as consumers a favor too.

Anyway, I'd check out Ruger's hard copy catalog, in the back it has a listing of available rings for each rifle, and maximum approx. objective diameter that they'll work with. Seems to me that their Med. rings work with up to 45mm obj.'s (42mm) and the highs are for up to 50mm, but check it out for yourself to be sure.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:08 AM

I got my Ruger #1V back in 1997 or so. It had the target blocks installed.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might also want to know that the standard of accuracy Ruger has for this rifle...and even in a varmint rifle....is 1 1/2" at 50 yards....yes fifty!!

Many #1 owners have had to send their rifles to an after market smith to get them to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards.....several folks have been happy with them "as is" but if the gun gets 3" groups at 100 yards don't expect help from Ruger.....
Old 05-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vapodog, thanks for informing me on the accuracy on this rifle. I wasn’t aware of this problem. I’ll have to get more information before really thinking about buying the Ruger #1. Having 3” groups at 100 yards is not except able in my books especially with the price tag on this rifle.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Vapordog that is totally not true of a Ruger #1. I've yet to shoot a Ruger #1 that wouldn't shoot under an inch group at a hundred yards. Who ever you have been talking to probally can't shoot well with any rifle. I own several of these not shooting rifles and theres alot of men at the rifle range that lose money to them every year. That's pretty outstanding to me for a standard hunting rifle to beat out bench rifles for groups at times. 3" group is plain awful. My Ruger's will shoot under that at 300yds. For the money this is one of the best rifles you can shoot for hunting.

I will say this about Ruger #1's they do have a slower twist and they like medium to light bullets alot better than heavier ones. But for the long range hunting its not a problem for those that load for speed. Speed equals ft lbs down range. So if your buying a ruger #1 30-06 to shoot 180's to 200gr bullet you probally bought the wrong rifle for that. But I bet I can load 180gr bullets in my 300win Ruger No1 and still shoot under 3" groups at a 100yds. lol

If there standard accuracy was 1 1/2" at fifty yards then they wouldn't have been in production this long.

Trailer you won't be disapointed in this rifle. Not only will they shoot but they shoot damn fine. Are they bench rifles nope they are built for hunting. But with the right load and the right man yes they can take home the money. Especially when we start shooting off hand silouettes. I see a competition coming up sometime in the future. hehe
Old 05-26-2004, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

The blocks come installed from the factory. You can use an objective up to 44mm with the medium rings. If you go with a larger objective you can send the medium rings back to Ruger and they will send you a High ring to replace them with.

I have seen several #1's that were good shooters out of the box and a few that weren't. If you buy the rifle and it isn't a good shooter you can have the forearm hanger bedded and this will float the barrel away from the forearm. This usually takes care of any accuracy problems. Bedding the forearm is not much different than bedding the action on a bolt gun and shouldn't cost much more. I think the #1 is one of the finest factory rifles produced.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trailer,
The gun comes with scope mounts,on mine it came with Med bases,I have a 3.5-10x40 mm scope on it and has plenty of room.
Mine is not a varmiter but the standard #1-B sporter in 25-06 rem.It can shoots the Kahonays off a fly at 100 yds.
It is deadly acurate on the bench or rest,Vap-Dog just got burned on a Ruger gun and thier Customer service,it can happen to anyone,or any company the builds mass produced guns.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Ruger #1's are very accurate Rifles.I have a 45-70 #1. Before trading for it I shot a few rounds.They were low for me but were just about touching each other @100yards.A few clicks up would have had it dead center.If you buy a Ruger and need different height rings Ruger will exchange them on a even trade.I believe it says this in the owner manual. I know a few people who did swap rings out with them.The #1V is drilled and tapped to except Target Blocks.Not sure if they come with the rifle or not.The blocks are inexpensive even if you need to buy them.I never heard what Vapodog said about 1 1/2" @50 yards.I know he's sour on Ruger Rifles.I have or had my share of Ruger Rifles and never had a accuracy issue.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vapordog that is totally not true of a Ruger #1
BULL....it's a fact.....born of experience and direct communication with Ruger's service people that admitted to me their standard for this rifle.....

Quick Reply: Info on the Ruger #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.