Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Old Nazi Rifle value >

Old Nazi Rifle value

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old Nazi Rifle value

Old 02-21-2002, 08:09 AM
bigcountry

Default Old Nazi Rifle value

Hey, a friend at work has a old 8MM mauser from near the end of WWII that his uncle brought back from Germany. His uncle was a US Intelligence officer brought back several different German weapons. It has the Nazi mark (swatica, however you spell it) on the action, but the only problem is they replaced the barrel in the states. Seems near the end of the war, germany was making the barrels extremely thin on thier rifles. So its rebarreled with .243. It has the orignal german scope and the stock is in good shape, no rust. He said he will sell to me for 100 dollars. What do you think? It hard to tell its value since the barrel was replaced. Curious on what you think.

I can't beleive he wants to sell a family piece like this. He said the german that was hold it died holding it.

Edited by - bigcountry on 02/21/2002 09:24:54

Old 02-21-2002, 09:08 AM

Default RE: Old Nazi Rifle value

Bigcountry,

As a WW II collector there is little value in this rifle as you have pointed out it has been rebarreled. However it may very well have considerable value as a shooter. We will need a bit more information to help you with that.

After the war there were a number of Mausers brought home as war trophys as well as being imported to the U.S. as surplus rifles. We’re going to assume that what you’re looking at is a 98 Mauser. Many of these fine rifles were customised into outstanding examples of sporting rifles and others were cobbled together into rifles worthy of a landfill. They were cheap to buy ($35.00 at Woolworth’s when I was a kid) and therefor you could try out your rifle smithing skills without risking a lot.

So is it worth a $100.00? Most likely, after all these days if it will throw a bullet it’s worth a $100.00.

If it’s a 98 and seems to be in reasonably good shape buy it.

If you can send us some more information and we’ll see what we can come up with for you.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:31 AM

Here's a nice 98

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temNum=2381911
Old 02-21-2002, 12:29 PM
bigcountry

Ok, here is the information I got. I am going to write Mauser about it also. Steelshooter, what do ya think?

Mauser 98 Serial:51182
Rebarreled with Flang Ace 243 Win barrel

ScopeInfo:
Hensold-Wetzlar
Dural-Dialytan 4X Nr1194

Old 02-21-2002, 12:36 PM

Buy it!!! or better yet. I'll buy it. Really if you don't want it I'll give you my address and we'll set something up.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:07 PM
bigcountry

Well I have already bought it. Excellent condition. Better than most of my regular hunting rifles. The scope it very interesting. Never veiwed the a retical like this. I think this is the German sniper recticle. Does anybody have any information on this scope?

It appears there is a town Wetzalar in Germany that is a big optics town and near where Ziess started. Great peice of history.

Old 02-21-2002, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if the NR1194 was a sniper scope, but could very well be. Is the scope mounted on the reciever or rear sight mount scout style? If it is indeed a sniper scope with their original mounts, the scope nad mounts would probably be worth many times what you paid for it. It would be a shame if the rifle were a sniper model with its proper scope with the barrel being changed. A k98 sniper setup in original condition, even the low quality late war models would be worth thousands more than what you paid.

Are there waffennamps (sp?) which look like an eagle over a swatzika (sp) on the scope? It might be worth your time researching the origin of the scope.
Old 02-21-2002, 04:38 PM
bigcountry

It does have the eagle over the swatika on the reciever but nothing on the scope. It has a sniper reticle.

I haven't had time to really look it over, but it appears to be quick detach scope mounts that have a small see thru window. They are mounted on the reciever. My friend said all is original, from the mounts to the scope to the stock. Barrel is the only thing changed. Also, the scope sits way back. Its hard to believe they are so clear being 55 or so years old technology. Briman, is there any books out there with information on this. I would almost search for a original 8mm barrel to replace the .243. Anyway it goes, I don't feel bad about the deal.

Also, a guy on the internet had this to say about the scope. I gave the guy below the serial number and stuff. He said he will try to help. He said he deals with antique telescopes and microscopes. Most of which comes from Germany.

Hensoldt as a own firm does no more exist since 1964,when it was taken over
by Zeiss. Hensoldt scopes are still in production, all spares available. The
Diavari scopes you can buy today are in fact Hensoldt scopes, whenever Zeiss
is written on. Only scopes denoted for military use still bear the Hensoldt
trade mark. Why??

Old 02-21-2002, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

You made a great deal. The scope alone is probably worth $100. The rifle, as a sporter, is easily worth $100 even if its groups are marginal for hunting,....lots you can do to correct that. Good purchase.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:28 PM
bigcountry

Man, on ebay these scopes are going for 300 dollars.

Does anyone have the book "The German Sniper"? I was told it has information that will tell me if this is the real deal.

I am just so excited.

Quick Reply: Old Nazi Rifle value

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.