Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sent ot out to mil-tech >

sent ot out to mil-tech

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sent ot out to mil-tech

Old 04-13-2004, 03:41 AM

Default sent ot out to mil-tech

thought i would post this to you all on what he has found by taking some time looking into it.

well i got the call from ed silver from mil-tech. last friday. he found that the gentleman who owned it before me( m1 garand ) took a stock from one gun and a a barrel from another . to make a long story short. the gun has been peiced together not original. i guess for a gun that only cost $545.00 that was in 75% condition. what got me was that soe pitting that was on the reciever under the wood. the guy before me put BONDO in some of the pitting areas and looked like someone used a felt tipped pen to cover it up.

what do you all think about these people putting bondo into recievers ? all in all the gentleman at mil-tech said they will use a small welder to fill up some of the pitting holes but not to put alot of heat to the reciver.
it is just ashame that some people will do to sell a gun. if i new more about these guns when i went to buy it i probally would of picked it out alot easier.

anyone ever come into some weird things like this before?
Old 04-13-2004, 12:21 PM

Default RE: sent ot out to mil-tech

Quilly,

You'd have been major dollars ahead to have ordered your rifle from the CMP. Better prices and you know what you're getting.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like DiyJ98 said, go with CMP.

I got taken once also. I bought an '03 springfield at a gunshow at what I thought was a decent price at $400. When I took it apart, I noted that the handguard was badly cracked, and the stock was extensively cracked also, but only could be seen when the barreled action was removed. I had procured a "new" remington 2-groove barrel for it and took it to a smith to have it rebarrelled. The smith told me that the reciever had been previously "demilled" meaning that the bolt stop had been welded up, and a barrel had been tackwelded to the receiver by the government to be used as a drill rifle. In his words, some unscrupulous basement gunsmith had carefully ground off the welds, rebarreled it, reparkerized it and resold it as a functioning rifle. He said luckily the welding on the receiver was very thin and it would be safe to shoot, its just that I paid more than 4x as much as the rifle was worth.[:@] Curses on the man who sold it to me, and shame on me for not doing my homework first.

Bottom line is, that pretty much the only way you can guarantee that you won't buy a piece of junk is to go through CMP. Whenever I see a bunch of Garands on a rack at a gunshow, the first though that goes through my mind is the guy bought them from CMP for a couple hundred dollars less as a 'Rack grade" rifle and is selling them at a premium price.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:46 PM

unfortunatly i cannot find a gun range near me that is CMP certified