Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Maine handgun hunting >

Maine handgun hunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Maine handgun hunting

Old 04-12-2004, 06:18 PM

Default Maine handgun hunting

I am just turning 16 and would like to hunt with a handgun but can't find anything on the laws of it. I have shot some pistols of the guys out the range that I shoot trap with and have decided on either the ruger super red hawk in .44 mag or the S&W .500 mag. I will be hunting mostly bear and deer with it. The recoil is not to much of a problem, Its just the laws that im unsure on.

So if anyone has any information on the laws and which gun is better than I would apreaciate it.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Maine handgun hunting

First off, shooting a handgun at the range and actually hunting with one is completely different!! I'm certainly not passing judgement on you, but you need to know what you're getting into before taking a "handcannon" afield. I'm a die-hard pistol hunter, but my Dad wouldn't let me go after deer until I learned the responsibilities that go with it. I started out with a 22lr hunting squirrels and after I showed him that I was responsible with one and could make a quick and humane shot , he finally let me move up to bigger game. The last thing we want, as responsible sportsmen, is a wounded animal running around.
Now with that said and if you still feel like you can make us pistol-hunters proud, and if your parents will allow it, go with the Ruger 44mag. With you being from Maine, I guess the bears you'll be hunting are black bears and the 44 is plenty enough for them. Its cheaper to shoot, less recoil and it has way more factory and handloads. The S&W 500 will cost you almost twice as much to buy versus the Ruger, the 500 ammo is too expensive and I think that its just too much for what you want to hunt. "Overkill" only costs you more meat damage!!
As for the laws that go with handgun hunting in Maine, you need to check with your DNR or a local warden. Like I said above, I'm not passing judgement on you, I just wanted you to take into perspective some of the things that come with pistol hunting. Good luck and I wish you the best.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:36 PM

I was wondering about leagality because I plan on hunting solo in a stand instead of with my cousin who has his concealed weapons permit and lets me use it on patrage, and squrilles. I have been looking through the hunting handbook of the laws and all that I can find out is that to carry a loaded handgun you must have your cwp but other than that it donent have any age limit on it that I can find. Although I could of read it like 50 times and it not compleatly sunk in.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:32 AM

Model 94,
You do not need a CWP to carry a loaded handgun hunting, UNLESS you are carrying it concealed. As long as it is out in the open, you're all set. If you have passed the hunter-safety course, you can hunt alone with it. (Once you turn 16)

Mainehunt
Old 04-14-2004, 07:05 PM

Thanks mainehunt, I could not find any age limit on it.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Model94, I think that's great that you want to handgun hunt.T/C Fan gave you excellent advice.Before attempting to hunt with a handgun you need to practice at a range until you are fimiliar with shooting it.Like mentioned punching paper and animals are two different things.We all owe it to the animals to make the most humane kills as possible,Unless you're confident with your shooting skills,don't hunt until you have built up your confidence.Another thing, I don't know about Maine's laws but I would imagine 16 years old with a handgun would not be legal,unless you're supervised by an adult.You're still very young and you have plenty of time, so don't rush into anything until you are ready.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-17-2004, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I may be wrong (the law may have changed!) but my understanding is that, per Federal statute, no-one under the age of 21 is permitted to possess a handgun in the U.S.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I may be wrong (the law may have changed!) but my understanding is that, per Federal statute, no-one under the age of 21 is permitted to possess a handgun in the U.S.
eldeguello, I maybe wrong but I think down here in Florida you can legally own a handgun at 18 but can't legally buy it until you're 21.I know to obtain a CCW you must be 21.If a 18 yo is given a handgun as a gift he can legally possess it.?????That's a good question.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-18-2004, 08:04 AM

I don't know about Maines law but here in Wi. you can not use a handgun to hunt with till you are 18, you can not own one till you are 21,my son wants to be an armed guard,he is not 21 yet,so I have to buy his gun so he carry it,sound stupid,but that is the law.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bowshooter48

I don't know about Maines law but here in Wi. you can not use a handgun to hunt with till you are 18, you can not own one till you are 21,my son wants to be an armed guard,he is not 21 yet,so I have to buy his gun so he carry it,sound stupid,but that is the law.
I certainly agree this policy is stupid! I bought my first handgun, a Ruger Single Six, at age 17 in 1956, and it was completely legal!