Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting Handgun?

Old 10-18-2004, 05:39 AM

Default Hunting Handgun?

I have recently been looking for a muzzleloading pistol to hunt with. Does anyone own a ML Handgun? What make/model? How is the accuracy? Am I just being stupid here? (Ive been muzzleloading for 8 years, so its not like Im starting off)

Thank You
Old 10-19-2004, 12:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunting Handgun?

Tradition's Buckhunter is one option for a hunting black powder pistol. There are custom ones made out there from other inline parts. I do not have one, but accuracy would depend a lot on the load you work up and you. Some of them will take a 70 grain powder charge. If they shoot conicals or sabots you might have a good close range deer pistol there..

The trouble with the other black powder revolvers are they lack the knock down power to hunt anything too large. I have a .44 caliber New Army 1858 Black Powder Revolver. It shoots 25 grains of Goex FFFg and a .451 roundball with excellent accuracy. This is a lot of fun for rabbit and squirrel but I would not take it deer hunting. If I had to shoot a deer with it, I would make sure the animal was broadside, and within 25 yards of me....
Old 10-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Traditions single shot 50 cal. which is one of the early ones they made. I am less than impressed with the accuracy that I can get out of it. The sights suck also. If you get one plan on spending some money for decent sights. For hunting in Arizona none of the revolver pistols are legal. Must be single barrel single shot to be legal. I would consider a T/C Encore or Contender but the cost is pretty high. I thought I would carry the Traditions as a back up gun for my muzzle loading hunt; but, after lugging it around and only having one time to try to use it I decided it was not worth the effort.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:03 AM
Typical Buck

I've been wanting the Encore barrel, but can't seem to find anyone that has one to get some feedback on it. It'll take up to 100 grains of powder and if its like the other barrels for the Encore pistol, it should be a real shooter. Does anyone have this barrel or am I going to have be the guinea pig.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:59 AM

Best to check your state regs first to see if they are legal to hunt with. They are illegal in PA.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:19 PM
bigcountry

Well, being from MD, I assume you are hunting here. I use a traditions buckhunter. I have yet to find an accurate load. Highdesert wolf said to try light saboted bullets like 200gr XTP. Thats what i plan next with 50gr of pyrodex behind it. It can handle 80gr but accuracy is all over the place.