Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 model 7 308 that didn't shoot well >

model 7 308 that didn't shoot well

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

model 7 308 that didn't shoot well

Old 04-08-2004, 03:05 PM

Default model 7 308 that didn't shoot well

My son has a model7 308 that is ss with a synthetic stock. I wrote in the past that we couldn't get it to shoot very well. We tried just about everything when it came to loads, free floating the barrel and you name it. well the last thing we did was put a new boyd's laminated stock on it and full length bedded it. Took it to the range yesterday and it shot real good, about 3/4" with a load of winchester 740 and 150 grs sierras. Well it looks like we solved that headache with a new stock and bedding.
Polack
Old 04-15-2004, 04:02 AM

Default RE: model 7 308 that didn't shoot well

could have bedded it in the old stock and gotten the same results. I bed every rifle I buy. Before the first shot is even fired. Then the trigger is worked down to 2.5lbs. That is something else you may want to look into. A trigger job will probably reduce group size even more.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear you got your accuracy problem solved. I've never owned or shot the model 7 but i've heard they are accurate guns. I have several of the 700 models and they all shoot great and shot with acceptable accuracy out of the box. I always float the barrel, bed the action and do a trigger job on every rifle i buy and the accuracy improves even more. I think you made a good choice with the boyd's stock. Their stocks are a nice looking piece of wood, i have a couple of friends who have them on their guns. Nothing like the feel of a wood stock up against the cheek.
I don't know your son's age but if thats your sons rifle and he's not yet an experienced shooter i would leave the trigger as is until he learns how to handle and shoot the gun. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

My 308 can be very finickey with loads. It loves the Hornady light mag loads but it really doesn't shoot any of my handloads with win powder or the sierra bullets. I plan on playin with the combo some more though.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:13 AM

My son's age is 35 and we did the usual things to a rifle when we get them, i.e. trigger, bedding and the like. After doing those things without any improvement we went to the stock with finally some success. The synthetic stock that was on there seemed to be kind of flimzy.
Polack
Old 04-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a ss in .308 for several years.It was never a tackdriver but is was adequate.I agree that the stocks are worthless.