Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Rossi youth model inline,how many grains of powder is safe to shoot? >

Rossi youth model inline,how many grains of powder is safe to shoot?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rossi youth model inline,how many grains of powder is safe to shoot?

Old 11-18-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Rossi youth model inline,how many grains of powder is safe to shoot?

I was given a Rossi (youth model) from a friend.He bought it for his son but his son has since swithched models.
I made the gun fit me by using a Beartooth butt pad.I'm 6' 200 lbs.
I went to the Rossi web site but all it had was a long distance phone number.I'm not sure what department to ask for.
Any help will be appreciated.Thanks
Old 11-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rossi youth model inline,how many grains of powder is safe to shoot?

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/product-details.cfm?

go to that site and open the model of the rifle you want. With Adobe Reader you can download their manual. In the manual it tells you all about the rifle.

It is a .50 caliber 1-24 twist and weighs 5 pounds. With a 20" barrel it is a short one, so you will never get much more then 100 grains of powder to burn through it anyway. I would suggest you down load the manual.

Then try 85 grains of FFg powder and a 240 grain XTP. It should hold in there pretty good.

It says that it will handle 3 50 grain pellets, but 2 pellets is recommends. I would stick with that. With that short a barrel I doubt it could fire three pellets without giving you a fireball. It also says to shoot Pyrodex and nothing else, so I would stay away from Triple Se7en. It also suggested a 250 grain Barnes Expander. There is a lot of good information in there...
Old 11-18-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Cayugad,could you give me some advice?

The guy who gave me the muzzleloader told me that the Triple 7 burns cleaner.I've already bought a lb of Triple 7 and a box of 30 grain pellets.
Would I be safe using 60 grains of powder?
I would like to work up a load that is accurate at 100 yards and still has the power to kill deer at that range.
I got involvedhunting with amuzzleloader last year and loved it!
I know I have alot to learn and I want to be safe.I also want to be able to have enough power to cleanly kill a deer.
I'll buy the pyrodex if that's the way you think I should go.
Any help is greatly appreciated!Thanks
Old 11-19-2005, 04:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cayugad,could you give me some advice?

Personally I feel, If the rifle will shoot Pyrodex I see no reason it would not shoot Triple Se7en FFg. Yes Triple Se7en does burn cleaner. The only draw back is a sometimes crud ring that forms in the breech of the rifle between shots. If you were going to shoot Triple Se7en and stayed around the 85 grain mark, that would have the approximate power of 100 grains of Pyrodex since there is a 15 % increase in power difference between the two powders.

80 grains of Triple Se7en and a 240 grain XTP should have plenty of killing power if you place the shot correct. Your still pushing 1761 fps at that charge which is plenty.

Swab the barrel with a moist patch and then a couple dry ones between shots when working up your load. This will give you the most consisitancy.

Read your manual and decide for your self. They sound like an interesting rifle. Rossi has always been a good little rifle.