Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Could a 222 be used for.................. >

Could a 222 be used for..................

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Could a 222 be used for..................

Old 02-18-2002, 02:12 AM

Default RE: Could a 222 be used for..................

Hey, remember, are we taling about a .222 or .222 Rem Mag???? Difference between the two guns. The .222 Rem Mag is technically better in velocity/energy over the .223 Remington (but barely).

As far as the standard .222, my game warden buddy hunts deer with his .222. He has been doing it now for over 15 years with an old Savage .222. I think hes a jack ass, but he always gets his deer every year. Usually one shot, one kill. He reloads a 55gr soft point and hits them under 200 yards. What can I say about that....????
Old 02-18-2002, 06:19 AM

Mark in NE is right, the 223 is used by many police departments as a sniper caliber and there is little difference between the 222 and 223.

I would never use a 222 over a 223 because the 223 is so much cheaper to shoot.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:59 AM

Quilly, yes many people hunt deer with a .223Remington. I myself have used it on CA mule deer. I've taken 3 or 4 deer with that bullet. All under 200 yard shots. Mostly though, that is my varmint and/or javelina gun.

Makes a great "cat" gun (mt. lions/bobcats) (...and yes, mt. lion hunting is illegal in CA. I don't hunt them in CA in case someone is wondering. Idaho!!!!! What a great state to hunt.)