Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

prop gun

Old 03-29-2004, 08:05 AM

Default prop gun

hi all i am looking for a prop or replica Remington 870 pumpshotgun for a training gun for young school students.can anyone help me locate one or someone who sells them.thanks
Old 03-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: prop gun

Training young school students to do what?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:54 AM

to be used as a educational tool to show proper gun saftey.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably as effective as anything would be either wooden cut outs--what we got when going through hunter safety and one other school-forget which---OR you could go to a toy store and buy cheap toy guns (if you can find them)-Cabela's has a gun, called the Silverado I think, it's a SxS shotgun made so you can actually load it, it's kinda pricey though...as far as teaching muzzle control and safe gun handling, a simple painted up wood cut out would do as well as anything, and be a lot cheaper than buying a "prop gun".
Old 03-29-2004, 02:22 PM

little-d,

How old are the students? Toy guns might be okay for younger ones, but if they are teens, it would be more of a joke than anything.

At the risk of sounding like an old fuddy duddy, I do hope you are a certified instructor. If not you are opening yourself up to all kinds of liability issues.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:37 PM

believe it or not the game&fish department is using a toy gun for this purpose,the reason for this is the state will not allow a real firearm to be brought onto school property and their budget will not allow the purchase of the type gun needed(at this time).I even offered to donate a old pumpgun that could be made not to fire by replacing the action with a blank action and welding the chamber end on the barrel up so a round could not even be chambered.I think the kidds are 5th grade.In my home my son is now 5 years old and knows more about firearm saftey than most kidds twice his age.The reason i would like to see a instructor(not me) with a life-like gun is to make the kidds think they are learning with the real thing i would think that by doing this it would bring the danger level up to pare more than showing them a toy.In my home town 4 years ago two kidds 12 years of age were at a dove shoot one of the boys had a 410 across his shoulders and his buddy right beside him a accident happened and a family lost a son.I WOULD BUY A GUN OF THE TYPE NEEDED AN DONATE IT TO SATISFIED THE STATE IF IT WOULD SAVE ANOTHER FAMILY FROM THIS TRAGEDY.