Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Info for my new 7MM altra Mag >

Info for my new 7MM altra Mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Info for my new 7MM altra Mag

Old 02-15-2002, 08:22 AM

Default Info for my new 7MM altra Mag

I purchased a new Remington 7 mm altra mag for next years deer and bear seasons, because of some of the possible long yardage shots that I might have to make. Some of the shots could be up to 600 yards. I did not purchase a scope yet but i will before spring. Anyone have any pointers before I get my scope or what to exspect from my new gun.

Edited by - drache on 02/15/2002 11:30:52
Old 02-15-2002, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Info for my new 7MM altra Mag

Welcome to the board Chief, you may want to ask this question in the gun forum, I know there are folks here that could help, but some of those boys on the gun forum live and breath guns. I am an old iron sight man myself, longest shots I have ever taken were 125 yards.

The Tazman
Old 02-15-2002, 09:58 PM
XTP

The 7mm Ultra mag is an impressive round.That being said,600 yards is a LONG way out there.I cannot imagine anyone wanting to take a shot at a large animal at that distance,there are just to many variables involved,ie wind,animal movement,etc. to ensure a humane kill shot.I am guessing that you do not have alot of experience with this round,and ALOT of experience is what it takes to make long range shots.I have been shooting the same rifle for six years now,am sighted in dead on at 200,but I am still cautious when the range goes much beyond that.Invest in high quality optics if you want to start taking long shots(everyone has their fav. brands so I won't start that argument!),but most important,study the ballistic charts for your round,figure its max. effective range,and then go out and burn box after box of ammo shooting at that range(not just assuming the charts are correct).This can be expensive, but is vital to ensure no animals are left crippled.Remember,the anti's get their ammo from the mistakes we make.....and this sounds like one waiting to happen.....
Old 02-15-2002, 10:35 PM

with out going into all the BS that you are about to get. The answer for a 600 yrd shot would be leupold with target knobs and then practice practice practice. I hope you are a handloader

Mike
Old 02-16-2002, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

The most important factor is practising at any distance you may shoot.Never shoot at an animal unless you have practiced at that distance.A laser range finder is also required as any error in range estimation could result in a miss at 600 yards.The problem with the introduction of the ultramags and other long range cartridges is that many people who buy them think they are now long range shooters when in fact they don't have the shooting skills required for long range shooting.Developing the necessary skills takes a lot of practise and a sizable investment in ammunition.Be prepared to shoot several hundred rounds or more each year practising with your rifle if you have any intentions of becoming competent at longer ranges.

Edited by - stubblejumper on 02/16/2002 10:01:55

Edited by - stubblejumper on 02/16/2002 10:02:52
Old 02-20-2002, 04:00 PM

As much as I LOVE MY Leupold scopes, I would be seriously considering Kahles, Swarovski or Zeiss if I was to be shooting 600 yards. They will run you more than the rifle itself but they are the best.