Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why Shotgun Patterning >

Why Shotgun Patterning

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why Shotgun Patterning

Old 03-23-2004, 07:51 AM
bigcountry

Default Why Shotgun Patterning

Ok, guys I am going to take a little hit to the ego, but its all in the search of being smarter. I pride myself on researching of bolt rifles and reloading. And spend an enormous amount of time reloading and shooting. But when it comes to shotgunning, I don't. In fact, I have only patterned a shotgun once, and it really wasn't scientific or usefull. We were just trying to find out the penetration of steel shot compared to lead.

I mean I go bird hunting, duck hunting, and turkey hunting, and squirrel hunting. But I, nor do any of my Ky kin go out and pattern a shotgun. Alot of us use older shotguns with fixed choked barrels. Like I used an 40 year old Auto-5 until 6 years ago and I decided to retire it. One of my uncles uses a Winchester pump nickol plated, that is older than the hills. Now, I use an 870 Express for turkey and 1187 for duck or pheasants and squirrel, and Browning Gold for deer and duck. All have thier time and purpose. I mean when I go hunting, I just grab one and take it hunting, and come back with pheasants, turkey and squirrel, or whatever. I guess ignorance is bliss.

But now, I see these high dollar chokes for turkey, skeet or whatever.

How will they help me be a better shotgunner?

Do they change your POI, or have a better pattern?

I mean, every manufacturer has a spec for the amount of pellets at a certain distance in a certain circle to define a "choke" whether modified, or full or whatever. Is the reason for patterning, that the choke maybe made faulty and you don't get this pattern?

Does the high dollar chokes change the string length?

I really am searching for knowledge on this and want to hear not opinion but from people who take thier shotgunning seriously.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why Shotgun Patterning

Ok, for the typical hunter who just runs his gun with whatever shells are cheap and made by someone good and pretty much only hunts upland game and doves, maybe the occasional duck or goose, there's not much use in patterning a shotgun, now, when it comes to guys that turkey hunt, it's a LOT more important-when you take your shot count down from 400 to 9-100, you're really changing things on the other end. A shotgun is basically just the same as a fixed sight handgun, there are no guarantees that it shoot to POA (point of aim) out of the box. When you've got a 6' spread at your hunting range and 400 shot in there, you've got some room for inaccuracy (your precision may be top notch, your center mass of shot (CPOI=central point of impact) may be quite close each shot, but it may not be what you're aiming at...so you can learn to hold over your gun so your CPOI is the same as your POA. Like I said, not many people really need to worry about it, POI and POA are likely going to be close enough that your spread will cover you.

Another thing patterning helps you do is identify which ammo shoots best in your gun, i.e. which make gives the most regular spread, high dollar chokes are supposed to help regulate this as well. I've seen the same gun shoot spreads so lop-sided (about 85% of the shot fell to one side of the center, while the other 15% layed out for about twice the width as the rest of it gave) you'd want to throw it in the river with one make of ammo then turn around and throw the prettiest spreads you've ever seen with another make of ammo. Taking a shot on game with the first ammo might have ended up with a lot of misses or a lot of winged game, while the second make would have definitely been the best choice for hunting.

Basically patterning helps you know a little better where you shot is going. It's not an exact science, but it's close enough for government work...I pretty much only pattern to see how big my spread is at different ranges, and with one or two guns I do it extensively because I shoot reactive targets in competitions, if you don't have enough shot on the steel, they don't fall over, if you don't hit them at the top end, they don't fall over, sometimes if you don't hit them square and you twist them, they don't fall over, you either waste time and pick it up with another shot or you encur miss penalties (sometimes you incur the miss regardless of whether you neutralize the target in the end or not).
Old 03-23-2004, 08:16 AM

I pattern my shotguns so I know if the gun is shooting off or to point of aim. I also like to get an idea of what choke and what load are most effective at various ranges.

As far as the high dollar aftermarket chokes, I've never owned one. I just don't think the increased performance, or at least promise of increased performance, is worth the high price.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:39 AM
bigcountry

Thanks for the responces. Reason I ask, is my exfather in law was haveing this discussion. Number one, I really don't like the guy for obvious reasons. Number two, the guy brings home more game than the guys, I see that take patterning and all very seriously. These are the same buddies of mine that nit picks every aspect of reloading as I do. But the old crabby ex father in law, still beats us every time with out of date equipment, cheap junk ammo, and 20 dollar scopes. I competed with the guy for over a decade and finally threw in the towel trying. I pick out my bullet selection so carefully. Wiegh every load so carefully. He goes in the local gas station in WV, and asks what ammo is cheapest. Comes out of the woods with a 11 point.

Just not fair. But I bet I have alot more fun playing with my new toys, than his crabby, miserable life. I know all time I spend messing with my long range shooting, reloading, playing with every new bow that comes out (and now patterning) makes a very minscule difference. But I sure do have fun.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its not all about how well you shoot if you can't find game in the first place . Those people are called hunters . At least thats what I'm told . I know a few people like that and it just ain't fair . [:@]
Old 03-24-2004, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Patterning your shotgun comes as the single most important thing to be done after finding a gun the feels and fits or have it fitted.
Shotguns like rifles can be tempermental about what gives the best performance out of a particular gun/choke combination.
While there are plenty of aftermaket chokes only resort to them after seeing that the ones that came with your shootgun don't preform to your expectations.
There is no such thing as "cheap " shotgun ammunition. In that last 10 years or so thanks to sporting clays popularity there's never been such a selection of ammo. But the public continues to be hosed by some manufactuers. Prices doesn't always equal quality. The Patterning Board is the great equalizer in shotgunning.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:59 AM

I pattern my shotgun but only to a certain point because I normally use only three shot sizes plus a Turkey load. All from the same company. Go Winchester When I'm trying a different type of ammo, either shot size or manfacturer, then I'll pattern about three or four rounds. Same for when I change chokes but shoot the same shells. It just gives me some idea of where my shot pattern is concentrated. I have seen dramatic changes a few times especially when switching from Winchester to Remington to Federal etc..
Old 03-25-2004, 09:03 AM
bigcountry

Does it change your string length any at all?

Old 03-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

we did and still try to do the same,bigcountry...i know where you coming from
...been there done that...
Old 03-27-2004, 05:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]