Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Leupold Scopes >

Leupold Scopes

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Leupold Scopes

Old 03-22-2004, 08:44 PM
Spike

Default Leupold Scopes

For all the Leupold people , is there much difference between the VX-ll and the VX-lll ? Is the VX-lll worth the extra money ? I'm new to Leupold scopes but hear good things about them. Right now i was going to get the VX-ll but if the VX-lll is worth it then i'll wait and save some more cash.
Thanks for the input.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Leupold Scopes

To me the vx-ll is plenty of scope and I usually buy the vx-l. To some it may be worth the extra money but I think the One and two are plenty of quality. Look them over good in the stores and Let your wallet decide. You won't go wrong with any of them. I was out at the range today and a guy had me look through his Night Force scope. All I can say is I shouldn't have even looked at it. WOW. But Big Bucks. He had it mounted on a 32 lb custom 243 varmit rifle. He is a long range target shooter and is off on a prarie dog hunt.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:44 AM

i have had all 3 scopes.i never noticed any diffrenece between 11 and 11.i would spend the money on 11.it will be a lot cheaper. i just a got a 8x fixed pwer.leupold is a good scope period.if you got the cheaper scope i would get a bigger objective lens
Old 03-23-2004, 04:26 AM

I have the new VX-III in 2.5-8x36 and it's a great scope. Just mounted it on my 30.06 last week and brought it to the range. Is it worth the extra money? I personally don't think so, but, all I have to compare it with is my Leupold M8 scopes. I have 2 fixed 2.5's, one on my 11-87 shotgun, one on my TC black diamond muzzleloader and, a fixed 4 on my 30.06 semi-auto model 7400. The optics are crisp and clear in every Leupold scope I have so I can't imagine any difference with the VX-II. All I know every Leupold scope I have, in my mind, is worth every penny. I'm sold on Leupold. After shooting the VX-III, I picked up my .22 that has a Cabela's Pine Ridge scope on it, that I thought was clear, it looked like I was looking through the bottom of a dirty coke bottle! I plan on purchasing another VX-III in the near future to mount on a .338 win mag that I also haven't bought yet! The reason I went with the VX-III is I have a spring black bear hunt coming up which I'm sure I'll be shooting in low-light conditions and the write up on the VX-III bragged about it's light gathering capabilities so I figured I'd try it. Although, I'm sure with the VX-II you could hunt past legal shooting hours and still see fine. YOU REALLY CAN'T GO WRONG WITH EITHER SCOPE. Good Luck shooting and hunting. John
Old 03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a VX III 3.5-10x40 for about a month now. It's a very nice scope, but if I had to do it over again I'd buy a 3-9X40 Zeiss Conquest instead.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:02 PM
bigcountry

Now this is just opinion, but for heavy recoilers like my 300RUM, I go with the III. They are still supposed to be one piece tube designs, which is "supposley" to be tougher, but harder to build. The VX II is a three piece tube design, which is supposed to be easier to manufacture. For my 308win, and guns like that I have VX II's.

It all comes down to confidence. Sure you have a lifetime warranty, but is a pain to use it. You have unmount the scope, fedex it in to Leupold. Wait a few weeks, and remount and rezero. So if you are shooting your 300RUM, and all the sudden groups are funny, you start questioning alot of things. Scope being one of them and hard to diagnose without mounting another one you have on hand. Maybe its a marketing gimmik I am buying into.

I don't really worry much about the coatings. The VXII's coatings is much better than my eyes can realize. As long as I don't have glare in a scope and its decently clear and crisp, I don't worry about it. I worry about clarity with my binocs. I mean as long as I can get the crosshairs on an animal, I am happy. I don't use my scope to find animals, I use my binocs or bare eye.

I just feel the III is a tougher design.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:16 PM
bigcountry

But then again, I just got a reply back from Leupold, and they said II's and III's are tested to the same specs as before, recoil and toughness is not a factor. So I could have been caught up in the hype of it cost more, and must be better.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't believe that any of the Luepolds from the Rifleman to the top of the line would have any trouble handling recoil. If it did they just couldn't demand that kind of money for them.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:53 PM

I bought the VX-II last fall and mounted it on my 30-06. Until that time, I used cheaper scopes (mainly Simmons) and this Leupold is so much clearer it's unbelievable, not to mention its overall quality. I'll be buying another one as soon as I have another new gun that deserves one!
Old 03-26-2004, 07:59 AM

Something to take into consideration is the new VX-II for 2004 is basically the same as the old Vari-X III's of years past.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone

Quick Reply: Leupold Scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.