HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Leupold Scopes
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 01:02 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Leupold Scopes

Now this is just opinion, but for heavy recoilers like my 300RUM, I go with the III. They are still supposed to be one piece tube designs, which is "supposley" to be tougher, but harder to build. The VX II is a three piece tube design, which is supposed to be easier to manufacture. For my 308win, and guns like that I have VX II's.

It all comes down to confidence. Sure you have a lifetime warranty, but is a pain to use it. You have unmount the scope, fedex it in to Leupold. Wait a few weeks, and remount and rezero. So if you are shooting your 300RUM, and all the sudden groups are funny, you start questioning alot of things. Scope being one of them and hard to diagnose without mounting another one you have on hand. Maybe its a marketing gimmik I am buying into.

I don't really worry much about the coatings. The VXII's coatings is much better than my eyes can realize. As long as I don't have glare in a scope and its decently clear and crisp, I don't worry about it. I worry about clarity with my binocs. I mean as long as I can get the crosshairs on an animal, I am happy. I don't use my scope to find animals, I use my binocs or bare eye.

I just feel the III is a tougher design.