Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 should I get the 257 Roberts? >

should I get the 257 Roberts?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

should I get the 257 Roberts?

Old 03-22-2004, 06:55 PM

Default should I get the 257 Roberts?

I came across an old Remington 722 in 257 Roberts today at the local gun shop. They want about 300 bucks for it. It is in nice enough shape for its age with the usual signs of age(only a scratch here and there on the stock). the bore is nice and there is no sign of rust. What do you guys think? Should i go for it?
Old 03-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: should I get the 257 Roberts?

A friend of mine had one of those and I reloaded for him. I got hooked on the caliber and in 2001 Remington made a limited run in the 700 Synthetic. I grabed one and I love it. In my mind its a much better Deer/varmit cartridge than the 6mm's. The 721 and 722 were good rifles, its probably worth the money as they are not all that common anymore.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:50 PM

I picked up one last year in an older Win. Featherwieght, love it. I was eyeballing some brand new compact 243s when this one came along. I thought about it for the length of time it took me to open my wallet and pay the guy.
BTW I payed about $20 more for it than the new 243 would have cost and, I have no regrets whatsoever.

Wes
Old 03-23-2004, 04:02 AM

My grandpa swore by the 722 in 257 roberts for years... I would pick it up in a heartbeat.... and if you don't want it.. where's the gun shop at?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .257 Roberts is a very fine deer and pronghorn rifle and it's also a good varnint rifle.

You will never regret owning one.......mine is a M-70 featherweight and a keeper. The older Remington rifles are very fine guns as well.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:08 AM

I took my first Texas whitetail with one. It's a great caliber- now I just need to add one to my arsenal. As the others have said, buy it and don't look back.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:09 AM

Don't flame me, I'm just repeating what I read.... In Clay Harvey's book "Rifle Cartridges", he complains about the .257's lack of accuracy. I know a dozen people will chime in about their .257 shooting one holes groups all day long, and your's may. I just think it's an interesting read.

I've only had extended experience with one .257. An older Ruger that wouldn't shoot anything under 2" at 100 yards. Despite that my cousin has killed probably 20 to 30 deer with it over the years and still carries it every fall.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Should i go for it?
BY ALL MEANS!! A good buy at that price.....
Old 03-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't flame me, I'm just repeating what I read.... In Clay Harvey's book "Rifle Cartridges", he complains about the .257's lack of accuracy. I know a dozen people will chime in about their .257 shooting one holes groups all day long, and your's may. I just think it's an interesting read.
Who, pray tell, is Clay Harvey?? It puzzles me how a cartridge case that gives the kind of accuracy one gets from the 6mm Rem., the 6.5X57mm Mauser, the 7X57mm Mauser, the 8X57mm Mauser, and all the larger bore 57mm's suddenly becomes inaccurate when it is necked to fire .257" bullets! I would blame bullet quality for poor accuracy before I came to the conclusion that something about the case shape, or even less likely, bullet diameter, is to blame....
Old 03-23-2004, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's certainly a great round, I don't have any experience with the 722, although the older remingtons were of much better quality than they're putting out now.

I'd go for it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the .257Rob, as long as you're satisfied with the selection of available ammo near you, I'd get it.

(Around here, there aren't many shops that carry more than one or two loads for it, and most of the shops all carry the same one, so there are basically three bullet types/makes available around here, if you're looking for more, you've got to order them specially or get a more locally popular round. The .257Rob seems to be very popular in certain areas, but sparsely used in others, which is sad since it's such a great round.)

Quick Reply: should I get the 257 Roberts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.