Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 should I get the 257 Roberts? >

should I get the 257 Roberts?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

should I get the 257 Roberts?

Old 03-23-2004, 07:31 AM

Default RE: should I get the 257 Roberts?

Clay Harvey is a gun rag writer that's been around for quite a while. He's written a few books as well. I don't value his opinion any more or less than any other gun writer or person on this forum. The magazines and various internet forums are full of self proclaimed "experts". I was just pointing out his book. It's an interesting read that discuss his experiences with various calibers as well as reloading data.

Again, although I wasn't impressed with one 257, I wouldn't condeem the cartridge based on one rifle. I've also shot a few inaccurate 30-06's, .243's, etc.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a former owner of a .257 Roberts, If you are going to handload, buy the gun. If not, don't.
The factory ammo for the .257 just isn't very good. You have a very limited selection of bullets and weights. It also isn't loaded even close to the max.
My ruger was very accurate, but I also found that on larger northern deer, and at yardage of 200 or more the factory .257 just didn't cut it and although shot placement was good it didn't "drop'em" making for some very difficult tracking. Handloads did help, but my confidence in the gun was no longer there.
I would look more closely at 25.06 or .260 rem. Both have better bullet weight/selection. However if it is the 722 that you are interested in, then caliber should not make that much of a difference.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

A friend of mine had one of those and I reloaded for him. I got hooked on the caliber and in 2001 Remington made a limited run in the 700 Synthetic. I grabed one and I love it. In my mind its a much better Deer/varmit cartridge than the 6mm's. The 721 and 722 were good rifles, its probably worth the money as they are not all that common anymore.

James B,
Do you know any distributors by you that have any of those 700 synthetics in .257 laying around--I have been looking high and low in PA being a local distributor had a limited run made for them. If you hear of any please let me know.
Thanks
Encore28
Old 03-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

I bought a Remington 700 Classic Stainless in 257 Roberts a few years ago. My particular rifle is very accurate with the Federal Premium 120 gr. Nosler partition load that is available. Two other good loads are the Hornady Custom and Light Magnum. The light magnum loading lists a muzzle velocity of 2940 fps. This is only 50 fps behind the standard loading of the 25-06. I handload so factory ammo doesn't appeal to me very much. I do feel there are enough loads available today to make the 257 Roberts a decent purchase to a non-handloader. Also, on another note Remington has a non +P loading available. This load is great for a lady or a youngster you are trying to start shooting & hunting. My 2 cents says to buy the rifle if it is appealing to you. The 257 is a fine deer/pronghorn rifle capable of killing at any reasonable distance. On the most part shot placement is more important than kinetic energy and velocity. I did say for the most part!
Old 03-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also was lucky enough to find one of the limited run 700 ADL synthetics. I have handloaded several bullet weights 75 gr hornady hp ( for varmint ) 100 gr hornady interlok and 117 gr interlok, all three are sub moa using I4350 or H380. The only thing I don't care for is the short blind magazine, won't let you seat the heavier bullets out to the cannelure. All things being equal, buy it and don't give it another thought. As has been said before I also feel that it is a better dual purpose cartridge than any 6mm. Encore, try Grices in Clearfield, PA they probably won't have the ADL synthetic but I'm sure they'll have at least one 257 Roberts in stock.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:30 PM

Thndrchiken
I tried Grice's they were the distributor that had a special run of 500 Remington 700 adl composite in .257 Roberts BUT they are OUT!!!!!!!! I was hoping to find someone with one laying around...........I have been holding off on ordering my .257 Roberts barrel for my Encore in hopes to find one BUT will have to give up my search and order my barrel soon in order to have it ready for the Fall.
Thanks for the tip though.......
Encore28
Old 03-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: diyj98

Clay Harvey is a gun rag writer that's been around for quite a while. He's written a few books as well. I don't value his opinion any more or less than any other gun writer or person on this forum. The magazines and various internet forums are full of self proclaimed "experts". I was just pointing out his book. It's an interesting read that discuss his experienc with various calibers as well as reloading data.

Again, although I wasn't impressed with one 257, I wouldn't condeem the cartridge based on one rifle. I've also shot a few inaccurate 30-06's, .243's, etc.
I understand what you're saying! I also have shot inaccurate .243's and .30/'06's! A rifle can be inaccurate regardless of caliber, and, generally speaking, there are NO cartridges that are inherently inaccurate, if the powder/bullet/brass/primer quality is high, the combination of components is correct, AND they are fired in a precision rifle! However, there are a lot of cartridges that are harder to get to shoot well than others. Perhaps the .257 Roberts is one of these, I don't know! However, a lot of people bad-mouth the 7X57mm's accuracy, yet my experience with about ten of these has been just the opposite!