Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting in a Scope >

Sighting in a Scope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in a Scope

Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 PM

Default Sighting in a Scope

I recently went to a shooting range to fine tune my muzzleloader and noticed something fishy. I was shooting 2" to 3" groups at 25 yds but when I moved back to 85 yds my shots dropped off a few inches. I understand that this is normal.
Here is the fishy part. I adjusted my scope a few clicks (6 clicks to beexact)to move my shot up and all of a sudden my shots are 5 inches too high. I thought that at 100 yds that 4 clicks usually = 1" ? Should I have passed up my mark and come back down on the scope adjustment (eg. if I needed 6 clicks should I have went 8 - 10and then came back). Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sighting in a Scope

First a couple of questions.

How many shots did you shoot after the adjustment? If only one then the scope may not have settled into the new setting until after a shot or two, this is common with some scopes.

Did you tap the turret after making the adjustment? With some scopes this helps settle the crosshairs into the new position.

Are you sure the clicks are 1/4" each? I have one scope that is marked 1/4" but they are closer to 1/2" at 100 yards.

I would verify that the gun is grouping consistantly with the scopeat it's current setting and then adjust it, tap it, and verify again (use a known good grouping load). If it is not consistent I would check the mounts, stock screws, etc. to see if there was a mechanical reason for the problem. You could also check without the scope using the iron sights to verify the gun will group. If all else fails, it could be the scope is going bad and needs replacing.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

I always, ALWAYS pass my intended setting by 4 clicks and back down 6 then back up two and give it a tap on the turret with a fingernail. I don't know if it helps, but it doesn't seem to be that much off when I make adjustments.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:50 PM

I shot about 2 - 3. Thanks for the feedback. I will try your suggestions.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: deerhunter98

I thought that at 100 yds that 4 clicks usually = 1" ?
Thanks in advance
Well, not necessarily! I have found any number of scopes that claim to have 1/4 MOA clicks that really are closer to 1" than 0.25"! So nowdays, using most any scope except the Leupolds or a good German brand, I make my first adjustments as if they are worth double their rated value- I would therefore have only moved your scope 3 clicks instead of 6, at least until I found out for sure what a click on your scope is really worth at 100 yards. But as long as you are still hitting the target paper, you'll discover this value pretty quick.......